Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"com.apple.springboard" in Location Services

I noticed something called "com.apple.springboard" in Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Any idea why this is showing up here?User uploaded file

Posted on Apr 9, 2016 3:49 PM

21 replies

Oct 17, 2017 6:07 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

1. This is only my second iPhone.

2. I have apps that have NEVER used cellular data that appear in that menu. For example, Bose Connect is used ONLY inside my home where cellular data (and voice phone calls) simply don't work. I use Bose Connect with QC-35 headphones only while sitting in a recliner watching television in our family room. The headphones have never been outside my house. Many years ago, when siding was put on my house, the contractor also put metal-jacketed insulation under the siding. At the time, the only effect we noticed was that the rabbit ear TV antenna would no longer work. Now, cell phone calls must be WiFi calling and cellular data just doesn't work. Period.

3. I have apps that have NEVER BEEN USED AT ALL that appear in that menu. One notable one is Notes. I tried it on my Mac five years before I bought my first iPhone and didn't like it at all. When I got my iPhone, I was disappointed that I couldn't remove that app.

4. Be that as it may, I'm still curious what would happen if I turned cellular access off for Springboard.

Oct 17, 2017 5:51 PM in response to Philly_Phan

It's interesting that I've responded to posts from people who have complained that an app did not appear in cellular data settings to turn off. Until they ran the app using cellular data.

An app that has used cellular data 5 years ago on a different phone will appear in cellular settings if you restore a backup that goes back to that earlier phone.

Apr 9, 2016 4:15 PM in response to Boblive77

As no one here is an Apple engineer we would only be guessing, but I'm reasonably sure that if there wasn't a need for Springboard to know your location it wouldn't be in Location Services. As it doesn't show in mine I assume it's some setting that you have enabled. I'm also assuming your phone is not jailbroken; if it is then all bets are off.

"com.apple.springboard" in Location Services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.