Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen capture does not work with DVD player

I had a DVD created of old family movies. Now I'm trying to capture a image using the screen capture tools but all I get is a gray image. I've tried shift-command-3-click, shift-command-4-click, Grab, etc., but no luck. Here is what I come up with:

User uploaded file

Although the DVD player is playing the file, no files are showing up when I open the DVD disc. I have a MAC PRO with El Capitan. Thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 9, 2016 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2016 8:08 PM

The Apple DVD player hasn't allowed screen captures for quite a while - it is deliberate, most likely some copyright issue.

There are a couple of methods to get screen captures anyway - one is to download and use the (free) VLC media player and perform your screen captures as usual, the other is to use one of the controls in Apple's DVD player, which is a little bit clunkier. To use Apple's DVD player, pause the playback and choose the DVD Player > Controls > Use Current Frame as Jacket Picture menu item, then press stop - stopping the DVD playback will bring up the jacket picture, which you can capture.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2016 8:08 PM in response to SWMIL

The Apple DVD player hasn't allowed screen captures for quite a while - it is deliberate, most likely some copyright issue.

There are a couple of methods to get screen captures anyway - one is to download and use the (free) VLC media player and perform your screen captures as usual, the other is to use one of the controls in Apple's DVD player, which is a little bit clunkier. To use Apple's DVD player, pause the playback and choose the DVD Player > Controls > Use Current Frame as Jacket Picture menu item, then press stop - stopping the DVD playback will bring up the jacket picture, which you can capture.

Screen capture does not work with DVD player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.