Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So why is my Iphone 5s cable falling apart?

So I about a year and a half ago my junk apple brand lightning cable started falling apart at both ends on both my wife's phone and mine. Sadly the damage has become much worse even after a tried to repair the cable with electrical tape. The cables have practically dry rotted on both ends and one is so bad that there is no rubber anymore in the middle. The only thing left is the cable armor on one cord and that is even damaged with exposed wires. I have never seen cables disintegrate so fast. Even my old school flip phone chargers. The sad thing is that apple's response is that I can purchase a new one. No help there. Seriously...Apple cables are the most expensive and I am not paying high dollar for a cable that degrades so fast. Then apple won't allow us to use third party cables. I know it is not just me and my wife because my father law has the same issue with iphone. He had to apply electrical shrink wrap to fix his.

So how can we get put on a list to be notified for recalls on apple's lightning chargers? Or do we have to wait until someone gets shocked?

Disgruntled iphone owner.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 9, 2016 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2017 5:14 PM

I'm guessing that Apple, in their attempt to be socially aware, adopted a process or technology that would result in biodegradable chords, plastics, etc. I'm guessing it went wrong. Our **** is falling apart.

5 replies

Sep 16, 2017 5:53 PM in response to airic36

I doubt there will ever be recall list. I would say you've likely been pretty rough on your cables. I have Lightning cables that have been in daily use since the very first day Lightning cables came to iPhone. None of them have any issues whatsoever. As Rudegar suggested, always remove the connector from the connector, not the cable itself. In looking at your pictures, it's clear something/someone has chewed through that.

Apr 29, 2016 8:48 PM in response to Rudegar

I am not a two year old. I have always pulled the cable by the plastic components on the end. Besides how do you explain the cord falling apart in the middle in the photo. Yes I attempted to fix the cord with electrical tape. Like I said it has happened to my wife's charger, my father law charger and mine. The rubber has practical disintegrated.User uploaded file

So why is my Iphone 5s cable falling apart?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.