Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac support Western Sydney

Hi

I'm currently trying to get my mum to upgrade her iMac from 10.6.8 to the latest. However, the specs she had on the hard drive means that her system isn't able to hand the new software.

The problem is that she went to the Penrith Mac store and they advised her to take her mac to XYZ dealer and they were encouraging her to just buy a whole new mac or go PC. I had bought my Mac at the same time and managed to upgrade the hard drive and memory when I requested the software upgrade (which I couldn't do at home because I had internet speeds of 256kb on a good day). But, I live in Brisbane, and Mac1 Brisbane, had performed the upgrade for me for the cost of the new hardware and an hour's labour, although I had to leave it overnight. A friend of mine in Rockhampton had the same thing with her old iBook AMG.

I was hoping to get my mum a similar deal. Mac1 in Sydney focuses on Education and Corporate training.

It would be really appreciated, if anyone suggest somewhere reasonable for my mum to be able to upgrade in Sydney (Penrith area)?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 9, 2016 10:22 PM

13 replies

Apr 9, 2016 10:50 PM in response to Sunlit_Soul

What year/model is her Mac? Here are the requirements for El Capitan:

https://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

Please note that the 2 GB RAM mentioned is really not sufficient - a minimumof 4 GB is recommended. And, upgrading has nothing to do with the hard drive - it has to do with all the hardware specs. Also note that an older machine with a slower processor and graphics card will not result in fast performance with the latest OS.

Apr 10, 2016 9:21 PM in response to Sunlit_Soul

I see you have two options

1. ask your Brisbane service guy for a recommendation in Sydney - reputable folks often have a "network" of like minds
  2. take it to an AASP, found here > https://locate.apple.com/au/en/service/?pt=4&lat=-33.8727635&lon=151.2053446&add ress=Sydney
    Apple Premium Service Providers have been recognised by Apple for providing exceptional service.

Apr 11, 2016 6:02 AM in response to babowa

Thanks. The computer she had was a 20inch early 2008, which was the same as mine because we only bought them 1 month apart, same screen, same model. So, I appreciate that there are limitations with upgrades based on single or dual core processors etc... But my logic is that if mine can be upgraded then so can my mother's machine.

So, I am desperately seeking a reliable Mac source quickly before things get worse for me and she buys a PC again 😟.

Apr 11, 2016 8:16 AM in response to Sunlit_Soul

Is this your mom's Mac:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.4-20-inch-alu minum-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

If not, then pick whichever one it is here:

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=iMac8,1

An early 2008 can be upgraded to El Capitan - each one on that list can; I would not do it without maxing out the RAM to the max. 6 GB (or, at a minimum, 4 GB) as older processors/graphics cards will not run the latest OS happily.

Changing the hard drive and logic board have nothing to do with upgrading an OS. There is also no need to go to a repair place; you can easily add RAM yourself.

So, in order to upgrade: you need to make sure you have Snow leopard (the latest version 10.6.8) installed (which can be ordered from the online Apple store if you don't have it), and install more RAM. After that, you can easily upgrade. No need for a repair shop unless there is some sort of problem.

Apr 12, 2016 8:29 AM in response to Yellowbox

Howdy Ian

I was hoping you might know:

• a "favored" AASP or Apple Store tech
  • a reputable independent repairer ( my 'guy' is ACMT trained - I would start with him for all out of warranty devices )
  • a MUG near W. Sydney that might help advise?

I always like to ask my friends fro recommendations - a mere "list" maintained by Apple doesn't tell much about actual experiences 😢

G'nite, mate.

Mac support Western Sydney

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.