Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi Printer no longer works?

Long story short, disconnected all plugs to surge protector to switch to a new desk. My wireless Cannon PIXMA MX490 printer WaS connected & working till 7 Apr 2016, but when I tried to print something the next day I got this:

"Support Code 300 The printer does not respond. Make sure that the printer is plugged in, powered-on, and properly connected to your computer"

I looked everywhere, in Systems Preference & Information, but found no printer connected! Eventually I was able to "add" the printer to Systems Preference, but still can't print, & still get that Code 300 message! Then I called Mac help & Cannon about the no detection / connection problem, neither could help. So I called Verizon [internet] & they say the "Code 300" is a Mac code, not theirs.

When I try to use the Cannon ij Utility, shows the MX490 series, but says it's "unsupported" what? I've been trying for 4 days to connect the printer to the Wi-Fi router, from the computer, looking at manuals, videos, downloading the printer dmg again, even manually typing in my "Net name" on the printer screen, & then using the "Mac name" shown on the printer. Nada! Zilch! AGUH! . . . HeLp me PleAse?

Second - Can someone tell me how to "secure" my Wi-Fi? My daughter says it's unprotected [before all this]. What's the WPA/WPA2 Personal under secruity & how to I make one Network name "secure" that isn't.

Grazie mille [Thanks a bunch] in advance

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 9, 2016 9:43 PM

4 replies

Apr 9, 2016 9:48 PM in response to Kathylpv

Presuming your iMac and printer are on the same network

Switch off the printer for a minute or two

Then turn it on - it may obtain a new IP address -

Then try to add it from the  - System Preferences - Printers area - see if that works

As far as securing the WiFi - your child is correct - you should

WPA stands for WiFi Protected Access - your router should have instructions on how to set it up or you can call the tech support for your router

Or you can post the make and model (nothing else) of your router and someone can walk you through it

Apr 10, 2016 6:29 AM in response to Kathylpv

The meaning of "Support Code 300" is known only to Canon, but there are reports of at least temporary relief from taking one or more of the following steps. Some may not be applicable in your case.

Open the printer cover to check the ink cartridges, then power the printer off and back on.

Turn Wi-Fi off and back on in the menu bar.

Delete and recreate the print queue in the Printers & Scanners preference pane.

Disconnect the power cable and reconnect it after a minute or so.

Reset the printer to factory condition, restart the wireless router, and repeat the network setup.

Turn off the firewall in the Security & Privacy preference pane.

Download and install the latest version of the software from the Canon website.

If none of these procedures works, the printer is probably malfunctioning.

Apr 11, 2016 5:01 PM in response to ManSinha

Man S & Linc,

Sorry, none your ideas are "correct" - I've done all of your ideas, both of yours, in the 4 days before I posted here. NADA, zip, zilch have worked! FYI, I got my first PC 1991 [dos], first mac 2006. So I'm no "newby" to computers, technical stuff, & tech problems. ; + }

I had already called Mac, Verizon, & Canon support techs. I also emailed & went to each site to find answers, in manuals & on line.

That's why I thought some good old geek here might have a different answer for WHY, just unplugging a Wi-Fi Printer [to change desks] would disconnect a device from the Router?

Thing is, my MX490 series does not recognize an IP add, but requires the "name of my Network" which is different from the IP. 's why I'm no fan of "all things Wi-Fi".

Thanks anyway,

Kathy LPV

PS, Verizon High Speed Internet Resource Guide doesn't even have WPS in the glossary, no less what it is & how to use it, or change from "not protected" to "protected" - nor do the support techs tell you how to do that.

Apr 28, 2016 3:33 PM in response to Kathylpv

Thanks all - Problem was RESOLVED!

Actually, after several calls & several Verizon reps - 1 [one] of them had the answer! All we did was change my "Net Name" in mail preferences. I had a - [dash] between 2 words, we made it into one, no space, no dash, no punctuation marks! Once it was all out, viola, Printer & TV working well! I didn't even need to correct the printer or TV names, they just got it! Oh yeah, he also had me disconnect the router [modem] plug from the computer, & all still worked!

So, folks, all's well that ends well. Too bad it took over a week for someone to "know" what to do. Someone told me to get his name & Verizon ID # - and he got mighty high praise on the survey afterwards.

Wi-Fi Printer no longer works?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.