Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrading from leopard to snow leopard

Hi everyone,

I have an old macbook Intel 2.2 Ghz version 10.5.8 4Gb with Leopard and need to upgrade to next level to eliminate the Safari compatibility, what would be the best operating system? I have snow leopard CD but it doesnt seem to change any thing after running it, do i have to upgrade to a higher version like mount lion or am i doing something wrong?

Posted on Apr 10, 2016 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2016 6:35 AM

Update to SnowLeopard. Then update to SnowLeopard (Combo update Apple support sites) to 10.6.8 with the Combo update.

Then you can decide what to do in the Appstore, update or not to ElCapitan.

BUT: thoroughly investigate that your mac can handle El Capitan,

and thoroughly investigate what apps in your mac are not compatible with El Capitan (even with the latest updates of them).

If you post some more on your mac (see Apple menu, about this mac), I can tell you if the hardware can handle more than SnowLeopard.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2016 6:35 AM in response to GreenvilleSusy

Update to SnowLeopard. Then update to SnowLeopard (Combo update Apple support sites) to 10.6.8 with the Combo update.

Then you can decide what to do in the Appstore, update or not to ElCapitan.

BUT: thoroughly investigate that your mac can handle El Capitan,

and thoroughly investigate what apps in your mac are not compatible with El Capitan (even with the latest updates of them).

If you post some more on your mac (see Apple menu, about this mac), I can tell you if the hardware can handle more than SnowLeopard.

Apr 11, 2016 12:20 AM in response to Lexiepex

Model Identifier: MacBook3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB31.008E.B02

SMC Version (system): 1.24f3

Serial Number (system): W8*******Z63

Hardware UUID: A5D2E143-5CCB-5CD8-B249-AEB8BC4ADF74

Sudden Motion Sensor:

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Apr 10, 2016 7:45 AM in response to GreenvilleSusy

So you have 4GB Ram (memory) as you said in your initial post.

The L2 cache is not relevant.

Where did you say 8.8GB of available storage?

In principle this is enough, may be you can delete some old data that you do not need anymore.

You need a backup system anyway: if you have a TimeMachine disk, you can delete what you do not need: the files are still available in the TimeMachine Backup. Or you hang a external disk on and make backups on it.

Apr 10, 2016 5:17 PM in response to Lexiepex

thank you all for the support... i was able to run snow leopard in my machine, also did not loose data, it is showing the correct operating system 10.6.8, my cd unit has some problems, so i had to install it from a external copy i did, and am heading towards step 3.... upgrading to Lion.

One more question before I purchase the upgrade..... why Lion not Mt Lion??

Can you please send me the right link to get the right software, needed for it.

thanks a lot....

upgrading from leopard to snow leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.