Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting a disabled 3S with broken power button

Trying to reset my kid's old 3S, have tried every possible password and have disabled the device to the point where the device says "connect to iTunes" which iTunes says I cannot do because it's locked. The power button does not work, so I cannot even power it down or do the power/home reset.

What are my options now?

iPhone 3G

Posted on Apr 10, 2016 7:13 AM

2 replies

Apr 11, 2016 7:44 PM in response to dtnd

Hello, dntd. You may try a DFU mode restore. This is how you do it.

1. Shut down the device.

2. Hold the POWER button for 3 seconds.

3. Hold the POWER and HOME buttons for 10 seconds.

4. Release the power button but keep holding the home button for 15-30 seconds.

5. Once the screen goes black release the HOME button and open iTunes.

6. iTunes should say that there is a device in Recovery Mode and needs to be restored. Click on restore.

7. Your device should load iBEC and begin to restore. After that, activate it with iTunes!

Forgot you have a broken power button. I've had a 3G with the same problem. Afraid it's a DIY power button replacement for you.

Resetting a disabled 3S with broken power button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.