Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Starkey Halo aids have problems with new ios 9.3.1

My Starkey Halo hearing aids need bluetooth for streaming with my iphone. Worked fine until I updated my phone to ios 9.3.1. Help! I use this feature with phone calls, streaming music and audio books.

iMac, iOS 7.0.5, Printer is Canon MX300

Posted on Apr 10, 2016 12:37 PM

8 replies

Apr 10, 2016 12:41 PM in response to Dot1044

You need to contact Starkey support to see if their devices are optimized to work with iOS 9.3.1. They would be the ones to explain that to you. If not, you may have a problem, as Apple does not provide support for downgrading iOS. You also may need to re-pair the devices after the iOS update. Starkey should be able to explain that to you as well.

Apr 11, 2016 1:36 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, Starkey support has run their tests and the trulink app works fine and re-pairing has not made a difference to my problem so I am being bounced back to Apple. They suggest that there may be a problem with my individual phone (corrupt something or other) so suggest going into Apple and asking for a diagnostics run on my phone.

Have you had other people using other blue tooth devices (maybe ear phones) that have found the new IOS causes problems when phoning out? The problem (with the screen flashing when I make a call thereby not allowing me to select the keyboard or even the hangup option) only occurs when I have my bluetooth aids connected.

Did apple check the new IOS for people having blue tooth on at the same time as making a call? Obviously those using blue tooth to connect with ear phones probably aren't making phone calls at the same time as listening to music and I know there isn't a big population of us using our iPhones in conjunction with hearing aids so this testing may have been missed.

I must say it is a frustration not to be able to make calls out on my cell. Looking forward to getting this resolved.

For those of us that do use hearing aids with iPhone, could the developers test compatibility for situations such as this? There will be a need to integrate changes with Starkey or other companies that work with Apple.

Thx

Apr 11, 2016 2:04 PM in response to Dot1044

When you ask if "you have had other people using other Bluetooth devices", it seems you may think you are talking with Apple. That is no the case. This is a user to user support forum. When it comes to this problem, you do not identify what version of the iPhone that you have. As far as compatibility, it is the external device manufacturer that has to check. However, as you say, it could very well be a problem with your individual phone. I've not seen where anyone else has spoken about the latest iOS, but I've seen other threads about Starkey in the past. You might want to check back with them and find out if you can make sure your devices have the latest Bluetooth profile on them. You can make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store to have your device checked if you want. If you want to do this before you have the device checked, you can restore the device to factory, and only install the Starkey app on the phone and nothing else and test it. See if it works then. If so, then it is possible there is something corrupt in your backup files.

Apr 11, 2016 8:25 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi Chris

You are right! I thought this was Apple support.

I have already done all of your suggestions..... talked to Starkey and they did some extra things other than just deleating my blue tooth device and re - paring it. I also deleted the trulink app and re-installed it. Rebooted phone. (It is an iPhone 5) which was originally compatible with Starkey software and because it seems that it happens since the update and only with having bluetooth on at the same time as I try to call on my cell. Turning off the bluetooth to use the phone defeats the purpose of having it stream directly to my hearing aids as that is how I hear best - and because the blue tooth is always on when I am up and wearing my aids - it would be inconvenient as well to have to turn it off everytime I wanted to use my phone.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar so hoping they are able to nail down the problem. I will be curious to find if they have the same problem with other bluetooth devices and the phone application.

Thx for trying to help though... will keep you posted on what happens when I see Apple on Thursday!

Apr 12, 2016 6:46 PM in response to Dot1044

Hello,

Starky Halos works fine on IOS 9.3.1.

If it still doesn't work for you, do the following.

Connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable.

Launch iTunes if it doesn't open automatically.

Perform a device backup.

After the backup, restore your iPhone to factory default and set it up as a new phone.

Pair your Halos by going to settings> General> accessability then hearing aids.

Once paired, test it by placing phone calls and listening to music.

IF all is good, you can install the Trulink app and whatever app you use.

Note: If you restore from backup, the problem may reoccur due to a corrupt file or rogue app.

HTH and good luck.

Apr 19, 2016 7:57 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Well I visited the Genius Bar and the diagnostics indicated that I have a weak battery and there is a problem with the sensing system both added together with GST would come to almost $300. So it will either be a new phone or I don't have the use of the 'phone' on my iPhone. Apparently when updating operating systems it wipes the old, checks the phone before adding the new which can result in what I am experiencing. It is a negative reinforcement to update. Thanks everyone for your input!

Starkey Halo aids have problems with new ios 9.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.