Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help compressing large mov for vimeo! Thank you!

Hello, I have a 2.69gb 60 min 1280 x 720 mov exported from FCPX as a default master file which I want to compress & upload to vimeo. I've tried various settings in compressor - video sharing at 720p, 1080p & 540p each of which created a file size of 4.03gb. I also tried the 'publish to vimeo' setting which took 3 hours to get to 5% upload. Any suggestions gratefully received. I no longer have the original FCP file intact.

Many thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), FCPX 10.10.2, Compressor 4.4.2

Posted on Apr 11, 2016 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2016 3:39 AM

Please open the 2.69 GB file in QuickTime and open the movie inspector with the keyboard shortcut, Cmd-i. Then post a screenshot of the Inspector report.

Russ

8 replies

May 5, 2016 3:39 AM in response to JulieClare

The format and data rate looks fine for uploading. The only reasons I can think that it might have failed are: a temporary YouTube site issue; an issue (temporary or chronic) with your ISP; the account you were uploading to has not yet had the 15 minute time limit removed. So verify that the YT account has had length limitations removed, and if not change the account settings. If the settings were correct all along, I would try uploading again – using the YT uploader. If it fails (or stalls), run a speed test on your internet connection and/or contact your ISP.

Post back and let us know.

Russ

Apr 12, 2016 6:31 AM in response to Russ H

Hi Russ, Many thanks for your prompt response! I am uploading to Vimeo Pro which as far as I know has know restrictions on size & we are well within our upload quota. Our internet connection is fairly slow being in rural Cornwall, UK, that's why I wanted to compress the file to make it easier to upload. I am away on holiday for a couple of weeks now, will try again after that.

Cheers, Julie

Apr 12, 2016 6:43 AM in response to JulieClare

Ok. When you have a chance run one of the speed tests that are available online – possibly provided by your ISP. – to see what the upload number is. If it is an interview with not much motion, you would probably be OK with a data rate as low as 3 Mbps. (Duplicated the Video Sharing preset to make a custom 720p preset.)

Enjoy the getaway.

Russ

May 5, 2016 4:26 AM in response to Russ H

Hi Russ, thanks for your reply! I have managed to upload the file (after compressing to the custom Vimeo 720p preset it was 2.39gb).

After uploading I got this message from Vimeo:

This video’s audio bit rate is less than 120 kbit/s, which is lower than what we recommend for a video with 2 channels. Your bit rate is 112 kbit/s. Learn more about our recommended compression settings.

The video does have sound blips now & then but not always in the same place. I have read the recommended compression settings but don't really understand them/know how to achieve them.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks, Julie

May 5, 2016 4:59 AM in response to JulieClare

You can adjust the but rate in the Audio pane of the Inspector.

I'm skeptical that the sound blips are related to the bit rate, but it would be relatively easy to do a test compression at a higher rate. Set in and out points to select a short section that has audio issues and encode it. Test on your Mac and if it plays ok, upload the test.

Good luck.

Russ

Help compressing large mov for vimeo! Thank you!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.