Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari crashing my display (and nothing else)

I have Safari ver. 9.1 and it seems as though almost at random, everything freezes up. I notice that the clock stops (I have it displaying seconds), and everything else visual stops. However, I can still use the cursor, and if there was any sound, it continues to play. In fact, if I click around 'blindly,' I find I can still do stuff, but I can't see what I'm doing, except where the cursor is and what it looks like (sometimes it changes into the pointer finger for instance).

For instance, once it froze when I was playing a YouTube video. While the video stopped, the audio continued. I found that when I clicked on the video part of the YouTube window, the audio paused and played like it normally would.

Until recently, the only way I could find out of it was Hard shut down. However, I discovered recently that if I tried to shut down 'blindly' by making an educated guess as to how to click "Shut Down" and then pushing Enter. I've found that that before it shuts down completely (or before some unsaved app stops the shut down), the display returns to normal.

The problem's carried on for several weeks now every 1-2 days, at least once a day. I can find no correlating factors for each crash. It happens seemingly at random.

I know the problem is with Safari because every time this happened, Safari was on (either out in front or in the background). Additionally, when I used other browsers (like Chrome or Firefox), the display didn't freeze. I returned to Safari yesterday, and it worked fine that day, but as I was using it early this morning there was another crash.

It's such a bizarre problem! Just what is going on?

I posted some details of my problem to a previous discussion, but this was before I had identified it as a Safari problem. Macbook Pro display freezing randomly. Sound and Cursor still working.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 11, 2016 7:17 AM

17 replies

Apr 11, 2016 7:44 AM in response to dggxam1

First on your mac - search help for shortcuts - there should be Shortcuts for freezes and Shortcuts for Sleep and shutting down.

The freezes go back to Snow leopard at least and have something to do with Spotlight/finder indexing not being able to keep up and Unix style drive cleanup.

Have had safari freezes over the years and that had to do with top sites - so edit out any top sites you don't want in top sites, RSS bookmarks also seem to refresh, same if in email. When I was using Safari did not realize top sites had been "fixed" to refresh until I edited out top sites - Apple does have a default list - and will add sites you use a lot - editing puts the site in a list as not top sites.

Apparently Spotlight can get behind on indexing (MD and MDworker jobs in Activity monitor) to the point that you may get a memory leak. After that happens if your startup sits on blue or grey screen but you hear the drive doing something - wait - when the desktop comes up - restart immediately - and if that gets any spinning wheel - restart again - should be fast - then to make sure see if you can go to a menu (i use utilities) and open something(I open console) if it is okay your are good to go.

Apr 11, 2016 7:56 AM in response to notcloudy

I don't think searching help for shortcuts would do any good because the entire display freezes, Safari or otherwise.

But let me see if I have your instructions clear:

1. Shut down computer
  2. Start it up again
  3. Wait for it to get to my desktop (what if it gives me the login screen first?)
  4. Restart immediately (by going to the Apple menu?)
  5. Restart again if I get the pinwheel
  6. Open any app in utilities.

Apr 11, 2016 2:48 PM in response to dggxam1

dggxam1 wrote:

I don't think searching help for shortcuts would do any good because the entire display freezes, Safari or otherwise.

But let me see if I have your instructions clear:

1. Shut down computer
  2. Start it up again
  3. Wait for it to get to my desktop (what if it gives me the login screen first?)
  4. Restart immediately (by going to the Apple menu?)
  5. Restart again if I get the pinwheel
  6. Open any app in utilities.

If they work the keyboard shortcuts for freezes are a great way to not just kill the power - for example On my mac - the shortcut for that lets you quit all applications and restart is Command-Control-Media Eject key. As they may have changed with keyboards great idea to find them just in case.

When the clock freezes it means that FINDER is causing the problem - not any application - and it has something to do with stuff that is suppose to be transparent to the user (hah!) Spotlight default really indexes everything and if it can't keep up - will freeze - as web sites designers get carried away with animation and videos - allowing indexing of web pages is not a great idea - same for videos and caches.

The above instructions are only if you get a slow startup with it sitting on blue or grey screen or both for more minutes than normal - the system is actually doing something - so let it take as long as it takes.

1. After the desktop appears in order to avoid a freeze up Restart from the Apple menu
  2. If the restart still is a bit slow - or the desktop does not load same as normal - Restart from the Apple Menu (if it loads normal setup should be okay).
  3. If the desktop seems to load okay - use the GO option from the menu bar to open up a menu that is listed.
  4. On the menu you open up - select something to open - if no problem you are good to go.

This would also work if you have a slow wakeup --

i put the additional restart because I have had the system not come up correctly after the first restart.

Apr 12, 2016 6:51 AM in response to dggxam1

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

Apr 15, 2016 8:46 PM in response to Eric Root

No good. It lasted about a day before the display crashed again.

One thing I noticed was that not long before the crash, Safari occasionally developed weird visual glitches. I don't really know how to describe them verbally. Next time I see them I might take a screenshot and put that up.

D'you think deleting my history would do any good?

Apr 16, 2016 7:20 AM in response to Eric Root

I'm trying Step 1 of Linc Davis' suggestion. We'll see if it works.

On another note, I've noticed something peculiar. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the problem. When I watch YouTube videos from a certain channel on Safari, they stop loading after less than a second and make little to no further progress. When I open videos from that channel in Chrome however, videos from that channel play without any sort of problem!

D'you think this has anything to do with my Safari problem?

Apr 16, 2016 7:30 AM in response to dggxam1

dggxam1 wrote:

The 'Develop --> Empty Caches' thing didn't do any good.

I'm a bit reluctant to wipe my history.

I checked preferences and I don't have any extensions.

I'm gonna try deleting the 'caches.db' thing but I can't find it. There is a 'cache.db'. Should I delete that instead?

I haven't used Safari in awhile but I do remember in order to empty the caches you actually have to empty web data/cookies.

Also check spotlight preferences - if you let it search web data (that is the caches) the problem could be it trying to index web sites.

Apr 17, 2016 6:14 PM in response to dggxam1

Okay, I said I'd put up a screenshot if any of those visual glitches happened again.

Here ya go!

I'm guessing there's supposed to be an image here.

User uploaded file

The weird thing about this particular occurrence is that it only happens with images tweets from Guardian-related twitter accounts!

Still, I can't shake the feeling that another crash is imminent...

I'll put up any visual glitches I see that don't fit this pattern!

Safari crashing my display (and nothing else)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.