Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to resolve "The application 'Install OS X El Capitan' cannot be opened." error on starting the installer

Hi,

I've downloaded the OS X EI Capitan installer in other machine and It was sized 6.21 GB. I installed on the current Machine It was installed perfectly. And, For installing to other Mac mini with model Mid 2011 model running with Yosemite (10.10.5). I moved the installer file from the first machine to the second machine using my iPhone 5S, which has an application with shared documents folder. The copied installer also has the same size 6.21GB. But When I double click the installer. It says "The application 'Installer OS X EI Capitan' cannot be opened.".

The same installer was installed on the first machine. I tried copying the installer from the first machine to the second machine. The same is happening all the times. I am too much confused on this.

Guys, Anybody have Idea on this. Please share it. And I have attached the screenshot of the issue.

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 11, 2016 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2016 7:30 AM

You made a bad copy. Either download the installer separately on the other machine or use an 8 GB USB flash drive for the transfer, not your phone. You can also use File Sharing to transfer the file via your home network.

1 reply

How to resolve "The application 'Install OS X El Capitan' cannot be opened." error on starting the installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.