Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use my gift card with family sharing?

I have a very large gift card balance in the iTunes Store.

I also have signed up as the organizer of my family for family sharing, and have a credit card on file. In the past, the credit card was only engaged when my gift card was depleted. (Then I would go buy another one, as I prefer not to have a zillion small charges on my credit card statement.)

I am confused about what is going on now that I have family sharing. I'm seeing lots of charges on my credit card, and I am not sure if my gift card balance is even being used at all now? Is there a way to check purchases absorbed by a gift card vs purchases charged to your credit card? Is there a way to make all the charges use the gift card like used to happen before I signed up for family sharing?

And is there a way for me, as the organizer, to see the detailed activity of my family members? There are charges on my card from "APL * ITUNES.COM/BILL" that aren't in my purchase history within iTunes, so I presume those are my family but I can't even double check them.

Thank you,

Suzy

Posted on Apr 11, 2016 1:27 PM

7 replies

Apr 12, 2016 2:22 AM in response to SUZYCRUISY

As you are the family organiser the balance on your account won't be used, only your credit card will be charged - family members can use a balance on their own account for their purchases, if they don't have a balance the credit card on your account will be charged (if their purchase exceeds their balance only the excess will be charged to your card).

To will need to log into each family member's account to see who has bought what (none will have used your balance) : See your purchase history in the iTunes Store on a Mac or PC - Apple Support

Apr 12, 2016 1:45 PM in response to SUZYCRUISY

It will remain on your account whilst you remain as the family organiser in family sharing.

And no, it can't be transferred to another account. If you've only just redeemed the cards onto your account (and not spent any) you could try contacting iTunes Support and see if they can/will transfer or unredeem the cards (if you still have the actual cards) : https://www.apple.com/emea/support/itunes/contact.html

Dec 7, 2016 12:09 AM in response to Hockeymom2810

If you are the gamily organiser then you can't use the balance on your account. For the childrens accounts (assuming that they are using their own account and they have a balance on it), and yours if you aren't the organiser, contact iTunes Support (how items are paid for is automatic, there isn't anything that you can do to change it) : http://reportproblem.apple.com

Dec 16, 2016 12:21 AM in response to SUZYCRUISY

Well, I am not sure why this needs to be the case. There are a few frustrating things regarding family sharing and this is one of them. I too have a large balance on my organizer account but it is not the one that we typically use for purchases of movies, tv shows. Not sure how I shall approach this as it becomes difficult to find content scattered across multiple users given that one needs to select each individual account in iTunes or Apple TV to see what has been purchased. It would be fine to have the ability to view each user's purchases but then also have the ability to view the family as a whole.

How can I use my gift card with family sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.