Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 stuck at happy mac screen

I Got given an a Purple iMac G3 (tray-loading) from a friend. When you turn it on it loads and then it gets stuck at the happy Mac and displays a colorful spinning disc. The issue is that I have a restore disc for it but for someone reason the computer will not start using the c key or option key on the keyboard. I am able to reset the pram and get into open firmware though. I have also reset the rom using open firmware. Is there anyway that I can start into the iMac restore disc using open firmware command of some sort. Because I am stumped why it won't let me boot the cd using the c or option key.

Posted on Apr 11, 2016 5:05 PM

3 replies

Apr 11, 2016 5:23 PM in response to MacsAreGreat

Is the disc you are using a full Mac OS installation disc? Is it the disc that came with that particular Mac? If it's a disc that came with another Mac, it may not work on that Mac model? If the disc is a full retail Mac OS installation disc, it needs to be a version that supports the old iMac G3 tray-loader. Also, it only has a CDROM drive, so it can't be a DVD.

So, I guess you should describe the disc you are trying to use to start up the old iMac...

Apr 11, 2016 7:19 PM in response to MacsAreGreat

When you turn it on it loads and then it gets stuck at the happy Mac and displays a colorful spinning disc.

You're saying when you try to start up normally (from the internal drive), it does not work, correct?

If the same orange disc works with another tray-loader iMac G3, it should work with the purple one. It could be the optical drive; those tray-loader iMac G3 optical drives tend to be fragile. When you insert the disc and restart it with the C key held down, do you hear any access sounds coming from the drive?

If its PRAM battery has never been changed, a weak or dead PRAM battery can cause startup issues.

iMac G3 stuck at happy mac screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.