Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just purchased Final Cut Express, older version. Cannot install. Computer says “Cannot Install Final Cut Express because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." What do I do now? Thank you.

Just purchased Final Cut Express, older version, 1.0.1. Cannot install. Computer says “Cannot Install Final Cut Express because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." What do I do now? Thank you.

Final Cut Express-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Apr 11, 2016 4:47 PM

6 replies

Apr 12, 2016 5:20 AM in response to oteising

There isn't any way you will get a 13 year old application to run on Capitan or on a Mac with an Intel processor. If you also have an old Mac with a power PC cpu, it should install on that. But it's highly doubtful you will be happy working with it – if only because of the app's format limitations (SD only).

If I were you I'd, return the purchase and put the refund toward a more modern editing application.

Good luck.

Russ

Apr 12, 2016 10:29 AM in response to Russ H

Russ:

I am not an editor: I only play one on TV! 😁

The OP seems to want editing capabilities at a bargain price. Maybe FCE 3.5 can be obtained at a price he can afford; maybe not...

Here is a recent post I assembled about installing FCP6 in El Capitan:

Apple has created a "bug" in the attempt to install FCP6 in Lion, Mt. Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan, which makes it look like Rosetta is needed for a PowerPC app, the installer, so as to make it difficult for the use of FCP6 in these versions of OS X! There are three ways to install it:

1. Pacifist https://www.charlessoft.com/

2. Jeremy Johnstone's Terminal method http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog/2012-03-11-installing-final-cut-pro-studio-2 -0-on-mac-os-x-10-7-lion.html

3. HawaiianHippie has discovered the best and safest possible solution to this problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5591321?answerId=26309669022#26309669022&ac_cid=tw123456#26309669

I have now successfully done this on four computers, brand new iMacs running 10.9.4. And I've discovered an even easier way to do this! You don't need to edit the plist file, just move it into the Trash. Install proceeds normally. You can return it after you're done if you like, I don't know what (if any) possible repercussions might come from leaving it deleted.

The file, as indicated on Jeremy Johnstone's blog, is

/System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/Resources/PPCRequirements.pl ist

(Note that when you get to Installer.app, you will have to Control+click and select "Show Package Contents")

I have successfully duplicated the HawaiianHippie method on Yosemite and, after turning off Gatekeeper and SIP, it also works in El Capitan (and then after full installation and upgrade of FCP6, be sure to turn these security features back on).

Apr 12, 2016 12:43 PM in response to Russ H

OK: confirmation will be good, as I only attempted this with FCS2 (FCP6), but in theory FCE 3.5 should install as well.

However, I vaguely recall that there might be a limitation to FCE that does not function well in El Capitan. I cannot remember what I read, but it was some sort of "save as" feature that does not exist in the FCE version of the product...

If you know what I am referring to; please try it after you install it in EC.

Just purchased Final Cut Express, older version. Cannot install. Computer says “Cannot Install Final Cut Express because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." What do I do now? Thank you.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.