Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where Can I Get A Quicksilver Power Mac Monitor Connector?

I retired my Power Mac G4 (Quicksilver?) in 2010 in favor or a 27" IMac. Now after sitting in storage for years, I'd like to connect it to my IMac like an external HD to wipe it clean and move it out. I did not keep the monitor and the connector cable for some reason. Any ideas where I can get a monitor cable for this G4? I can't seem to find one online.

Thanks.

Gina

Posted on Apr 11, 2016 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2016 9:19 AM

Unfortunately saying 27" iMac does not tell me much about the model and its capabilities unless I spend 5 minutes researching iMac models. Ideally all you would need to do is put the computer into Target Disk Mode and attach it to a compatible computer that way to get access to the drive, no monitor necessary.

How to use FireWire target disk mode - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661 - includes description of hardware and software requirements.

Most other ways I know of attaching it require the Quicksilver be booted to the drive in which case it won't let you erase the drive.

Another way is to remove the drive completely then buy one of those $30 bare drive attachment things with IDA/ATA connector and use it as an external drive. I have a NewerTechnology universal drive adapter that does both 3.5" and 2.5" SATA and SATA drives.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2016 9:19 AM in response to Gina B

Unfortunately saying 27" iMac does not tell me much about the model and its capabilities unless I spend 5 minutes researching iMac models. Ideally all you would need to do is put the computer into Target Disk Mode and attach it to a compatible computer that way to get access to the drive, no monitor necessary.

How to use FireWire target disk mode - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661 - includes description of hardware and software requirements.

Most other ways I know of attaching it require the Quicksilver be booted to the drive in which case it won't let you erase the drive.

Another way is to remove the drive completely then buy one of those $30 bare drive attachment things with IDA/ATA connector and use it as an external drive. I have a NewerTechnology universal drive adapter that does both 3.5" and 2.5" SATA and SATA drives.

Apr 12, 2016 8:42 AM in response to Gina B

Simply getting video back on the QS may not be all that simple.The problem is that not all Quicksilvers use the same video connector. They have video cards with the video-out ports and Apple offered options in those cards. The three most basic factory options had either one VGA and one ADC connector (ATI Radeon 7500 and nVidea GeForce 4 MX) or one DVI and one ADC (nVidea GeForce 4 Ti). Of course the card could have been updated with an aftermarket cards at some point

Like Limnos I've used the bare drive adaptor successful in similar cases and find it to be the easiest, especially in your circumstance. Here is a link to the one I have:

NewerTech Universal Drive Adapter USB 3.0 - connects any 2.5", 3.5" or 5.25" drive

It is a very handy tool. Some people say they have found less expensive versions on Amazon.

Where Can I Get A Quicksilver Power Mac Monitor Connector?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.