Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo images "scrambled" - unviewable (on 2011 MBA)

2011 Macbook Air

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB

About 2 1/2 weeks ago (mid-March 2016), when I go to view a photo in Preview or just move the cursor down the lists of jpg's to get a quick look on the right-hand side in Finder, the photos briefly show and then are completely scrambled. They look almost like a Jackson Pollock painting. Once that starts happening, I can't view photos anymore. Note that these are in my Pictures folder, Google Drive, or Dropbox (Google Drive and Dropbox as viewed from the Finder window, not via Safari) or elsewhere. I don't use iPhoto much unless I am editing or doing a slide show. When I hit this problem, I have forgotten to see if it occurs in iPhoto.

So far, I have been able to get back to normal with a restart, but I don't want to do this all the time. I am concerned my graphics hardware has an intermittent problem and could be dying a slow death. I also wonder if this is a known defect for the 2011 Macbook Air (which I purchased in August 2011).

Below are 2 examples. Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Time Capsule 4th gen

Posted on Apr 11, 2016 6:57 PM

17 replies

Jan 29, 2017 5:38 PM in response to HiRez

Did another test today. If I export the RAW image from Photos to JPG, I get the corruption. If I export the same image to PNG, it looks fine. So I think it is definitely something in the JPG coding. And since it seems linked to one specific hardware model (2011 MacBook Air), I suspect macOS might be using the GPU to do hardware accelerated JPG encoding/decoding, and there is some bug in the GPU driver, or incompatibility between Sierra code and the GPU driver somewhere.

Oh well, probably about time to buy a new machine anyway. This 2011 MBA has been a champion, I use it 4-12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for the last nearly 6 years and the only thing I've needed to do is replace the battery when the original wore down. It is starting to get a bit sluggish though, I think partly because 4 GB is no longer quite enough (it was plenty 6 years ago). Problem is the new Airs are already basically obsolete and non-retina, while the new 12" MacBooks are still underpowered and the single USB port is problematic. And I will really miss that SD card slot.

Jan 29, 2017 1:22 AM in response to lynnelovestorun

I have the same, or similar problem. Also on a 2011 MacBook Air (13", 1.8 GHz Core i7, Intel HD 3000 graphics, 256 GM SSD). In my case, the photos are only partially corrupted. I can see about 1/2 the photo with the artifacts in various locations (see example below). These are photos shot on a Fuji X-100 in RAW + JPG mode. The photos that are using the JPG as the original look fine. The ones that are using RAW as original appear corrupted; however, if I go into edit mode on any of them in Photos, after a few seconds of wheel-spinning, I see the full photo show up. This suggests the data in the RAW file itself is not corrupted, but is being incorrectly interpreted and displayed when doing a JPG conversion. Exporting one of these from Photos burns the corrupted display into the resulting JPG.

I tried the SMC reset and it did not work for me.

User uploaded file

Apr 13, 2016 6:21 AM in response to lynnelovestorun

Hello lynnelovestorun,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your description and screenshots you provided, I see you're seeing some pixelated artifacts on your screen after scrolling through photos within a Finder window. To help isolate this issue and determine if it is a software or hardware issue, please start off by trying to reproduce this issue in safe mode:

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.

2. After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key.

You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac again, but don’t hold down any keys during startup.

OS X El Capitan: Start up in safe mode

If the issue persists in safe mode, then create a new user on your Mac, and again try to reproduce the issue.

How to test with another user account

You can figure out if unexpected behavior is related to user file or setting by trying to reproduce the issue from another user account. This process includes creating a new user account, logging in to it, and testing for the issue.

Create a test user account

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. Click the Users & Groups icon in the System Preferences window.
  3. Click the lock icon, then enter an administrator name and password.
  4. Click the Add button (+) below the list of users.
  5. Choose a type of user from the New Account pop-up menu.
  6. Give the user a full name, account name, and password.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Close the System Preferences window.

If there are documents from your original user account that you want to test with, place a copy of these items in the Shared folder in the Users folder. Press the Option key while dragging a file to this folder to create a copy.

Log out of your current user account by choosing Log Out from the Apple menu, then log in to the new account you created. If you're prompted to sign in with your iCloud account or Apple ID when you log in, skip this step.

Try reproducing the issue

Try the same steps that caused the unexpected behavior to appear before. For example, if you were unable to print, try printing from this user account. If you were unable to connect to the Internet, try browsing a website from this user account.

If you were using any specific settings that testing depends on (such as using a specific email account or iCloud account) set up the same account in the test user. For email and most other settings you can use the Internet Accounts pane in System Preferences to set up these kinds of accounts. If files from your home folder are needed for testing, copy them to Shared folder in the Users folder (/Users/Shared). After logging in as the test user, copy these items to the same location in the test user's home folder to test with.

If an issue happens in only one user account

If performing the same steps in a test user account doesn't result in the same unexpected behavior, you most likely don't need to reinstall any apps or OS X.

• If an issue only happens in one app, check the app's documentation or support website for instructions on troubleshooting specific preference or setting files.
  • If you need help with a specific alert message or issue, search the Apple Support website for the text of the alert message you're seeing.

If an issue happens in more than one user account

If the same unexpected behavior happens in more than one user account on your Mac, try checking for software or hardware issues.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Take care.

Apr 13, 2016 8:24 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi alex_h1,

Wow, thanks for the wonderfully detailed (I need that) list of what to do. It will take me awhile to do all this in between everything else I'm dong, but I will set aside time to work on this and report back.

If I do need new hardware, part of the problem is that I have to have my photos displaying properly for a memorial service mid-May, so I am running out of runway.

Thanks again. I will try to get to this asap. Regards, Lynne (lynnelovestorun)

Apr 19, 2016 9:50 AM in response to DuggieDooby

DuggieDooby,

As saddened as I am to hear you are having the same problem, I am glad I am not alone 😉

I rebooted into Safe Mode the other day and ran that way for 2 days and didn't have the problem.

I have been in Normal Mode since Monday afternoon and have no problems. I think it starts to occur the longer you stay up and in sleep mode without rebooting. And the longer you go between reboots or shutdowns, the worse the problem gets.

My problem has morphed from just photos (and it doesn't matter if it's in the cloud or on the MBA's actual hard drive) to, sometimes, when I lift the lid to use the MBA, my email inbox is all pixilated, too, or an article in the online newspaper. So far, just a refresh of the particular tab has resolved the problem for my email but not usually for the news articles. For the news articles, the refresh sometimes gets the text back OK, but usually not any photos or graphics in the page.

I am going to be calling Apple support later today. I want to make an appointment at the Genius Bar. I also want to know if this is a known defect for this particular year/model of MBA.

Good luck! lynnelovestorun

Apr 20, 2016 8:20 AM in response to lynnelovestorun

Problem SOLVED for me. At least so far : )

I hope this helps you too. You need to reset the System Management Controller:

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Let me know if this is successful for you, my fingers are crossed LOL

Apr 20, 2016 8:28 AM in response to DuggieDooby

Hi DuggieDooby,

THANK YOU for the tip to try. I just did the procedure, and now I will wait and see.

When I rebooted into Normal Mode Monday, it took till Tuesday (April 19) for things to go weird with the photos and pixilation everywhere -- photos, certain tabs on various web sites, etc.

For anyone else who gets this problem:

• I cannot find a pattern, but it "appears" to be that the longer you stay up (with sleeping in between) with no reboots, the problem occurs.
  • The problem did not occur in Safe Mode for 2 days.
  • The problem occurred more quickly after the reboot to Normal Mode on Monday (April 18) -- certain photos went bad by the 19th. I don't know if this meant the problem was getting worse.
  • It doesn't matter if the photos are in the cloud or on the hard drive. I have had the problem since mid-March, and interestingly, it wasn't until this past weekend that iPhoto started to have the problem.
  • Certain photos in online news articles had the problem, usually the first screen, but then often, other photos throughout the article were OK.
  • Every so often, when lifting the lid, my email inbox would be entire messed up. Luckily, just refreshing that tab would solve the problem without a reboot.
  • So far, each reboot has cleared the problem temporarily.

NOW: With this tip from DuggieDooby to reset the System Management Controller, I am hoping my problem will be permanently resolved like it was for DuggieDooby.

I will post results in about a week -- I should know by then since the problem has been occurring more quickly in the past week.

Thanks, lynnelovestorun

Apr 21, 2016 7:10 AM in response to DuggieDooby

Unhappily, resetting the SMC did not work. Or, perhaps the SMC didn't really get reset?

I thought things were fixed. Today, I looked at a NY Times article that had a link to "see the slide show" of 9 photos -- I went to the link, and the photos are all scrambled. Tried another article -- photos are fine in the article, but when I click on the slide show link - scrambled again.

As an experiment, I did an "export as PDF" to see what I'd end up with downloaded. I could view the photos in the article in the right -hand gutter, but as soon as I opened Preview, all the photos were scrambled.

Looks like it is definitely time to call Apple and get that Genius Bar appointment. 😢

I was so hoping the SMC would work.

Apr 21, 2016 7:12 AM in response to lynnelovestorun

Another thing I have noticed that appears to be related to the problem: After lifting the lid and coming out of sleep mode, I notice that the screen where you enter the password is black instead of gray. When I see that, I know that photos will be scrambled somewhere.

I am debating on doing a reboot today or waiting till I can get to a Genius Bar, but that won't be till next week, esp. since I have to travel 45 minutes to get there.

Apr 21, 2016 10:21 AM in response to lynnelovestorun

Wow. Every single symptom you describe was repeated on my MacBook Air prior to the SMC reset. And something you didn't mention, mine was getting progressively worse as time went on. t am now on three days without a single problem or scrambled photo, in other words the problem for me is solved. Maybe you should try the reset a few more times just to be sure.

I also had reset my parameter ram prior to the SMC reset, so it wouldn't hurt for you to do that too. Just hold down the P and R keys after you hear the start up chime when you boot up and then let them go when the start up chime sounds again.

Sorry to hear it didn't work, I was so looking forward to some good news on your end!

Apr 21, 2016 4:42 PM in response to DuggieDooby

OK, based on your input, I decided to give it another try tonight, 4/21/16:

• 7:25 p.m. - shutdown
  • unplugged adapter
  • 7:28 p.m. - reset PRAM [NVRAM] (option + command + P + R keys pressed at the same time right after the start-up chime, then let go when the start-up chime sounded again)
  • checked a few photos in the articles I knew were whacked, and they were fine (no surprise since a reboot was "fixing" things temporarily before)
  • 7:30 p.m. - shutdown
  • plugged in adapter
  • 7:35 p.m. - reset SMC using the procedure you gave me in an earlier post

I'll see how the next few days go -- I should know by Saturday/Sunday based on what's been happening in the past week.

Thanks, DuggieDooby! lynnelovestorun

Apr 22, 2016 12:53 PM in response to lynnelovestorun

This exact problem started yesterday on my early 2011 MacBook Pro running El Capitan 10.11.4. I think it may have had something to do with a Thunderbolt update installed on 4/21--there was some problem with the installation and it took a couple of tries to complete. There was some sort of auto-update of RAW camera compatibility that occurred automatically on 4/20, also. I will try to perform the indicated resets, but am not confident...

Apr 23, 2016 2:15 PM in response to lynnelovestorun

Resetting the NVRAM (PRAM) and SMC from Thursday night (see prior post) did not work. All was good on Friday and again on Saturday morning.

I used my MBA again around 3:30 p.m. today, Saturday, 4/23 - problem is back. It's even a problem for some PDFs that have NO graphics in them -- just a list of names and other text.

I did not get any updates April 21 (at least to my knowledge) that garrelts2 mentioned. But I may have picked up the same update and don't remember.

I am beyond frustrated. Truly time to get to the Genius Bar.

P.S. Fan is making more noises, too - seems to come with the problem when it occurs.

Sigh.....😟

Photo images "scrambled" - unviewable (on 2011 MBA)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.