Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs restarting in Music App

Is anyone else experiencing songs being reset to the beginning of the song all the time? To replicate, play a song, pull the headphones out, wait a little while. This happens overnight very predicably. Either this is really happening or I'm going insane.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Apr 12, 2016 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2016 1:30 PM

I contacted Apple about this bug. It is not a bug. It is a deliberate UX decision of a fascist UX designer. Restarting songs should be the user's decision. Clearly somebody at Apple does not understand that UX is all about the behavior of the end user. This makes me very angry. Anger is the result of failed UX design. Clearly I could always restart songs of I wanted to with the back button. I now have absolutely no way to continue listening to music where I left off. This decision fixed nothing. Sadly its only one of many many decisions since 2008 that flies in the face of well thought out UX design in the pursuit of "features".

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2016 1:30 PM in response to Ahab the Eskimo

I contacted Apple about this bug. It is not a bug. It is a deliberate UX decision of a fascist UX designer. Restarting songs should be the user's decision. Clearly somebody at Apple does not understand that UX is all about the behavior of the end user. This makes me very angry. Anger is the result of failed UX design. Clearly I could always restart songs of I wanted to with the back button. I now have absolutely no way to continue listening to music where I left off. This decision fixed nothing. Sadly its only one of many many decisions since 2008 that flies in the face of well thought out UX design in the pursuit of "features".

Apr 17, 2016 12:17 PM in response to Ahab the Eskimo

Sorry but I am unable to replicate. When I pull my headphones the song pauses automatically. When I reconnect the headphones I have to click on the play icon for the song to start playing and it picks up from where I left it.

You are not going insane but something is wrong with your phone. I would start with a forced restart.

Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. You will not lose anything.

If not I would try resetting all settings (but be aware that you would have to reconfigure all). The alternative is a system restore, first as new to test and then from backup.

Apr 18, 2016 8:51 AM in response to Ahab the Eskimo

Ahab the Eskimo wrote:

I think an Admin moved this to "Apple Music" -- I do not use or support Apple Music. This is for the App called "Music" formerly known as the App called iTunes prior to iOS 7.

You are right. I have requested that it be moved back. I also understand what you said in your previous post and suspect that you are correct.

Songs restarting in Music App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.