Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth music stuttering - IOS 9.3.1, Iphone 6

This issue is with my 2016 Toyota 4 runner via bluetooth only. Note that I can successfully play music via bluetooth with other devices, wireless speaker, etc.

What happens intermittently when playing pandora, spotify or other radio apps, is the music stutters and skips. The only way to fix it is to disconnect bluetooth from my phone and reconnect, then it works. The bluetooth feature was working fine in the car with the music apps in the last IOS update. What I have done to try to remedy the problem:

1. Did a factory reset and backup of the phone and IOS.
  2. From the car radio, did a hard reset of the bluetooth connection to the phone, meaning had the car audio system forget the device and find it again. I did this several times before and after #1 above.
  3. Did a hard reset of the phone several times, both before and after #1 above.

Phone calls and voice commands from the car work fine. This is limited to the music apps via bluetooth only. Any thoughts on what the issue is?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1, null

Posted on Apr 12, 2016 9:44 AM

12 replies

Apr 21, 2016 11:44 AM in response to DaCrusher

I have the same issue with my 2016 4runner. I tried updating to the latest version iOS 9.3.1, then re paired device to truck. It actually worked perfectly for a couple days, then started stuttering again. I too can disconnect and reconnect, then music works, but when I turn off truck, and turn back on, it stutters again. My wife's old iphone 4 works perfectly with my truck adding to the frustration bc then I'm stuck listening to her music!

Has to be some sort of software issue... Once I have my 5K service, I will take up with dealership, but look forward to hearing a solution if there is one.

Apr 24, 2016 7:55 AM in response to trunn

Well, I figured something out!

It is a bug as suspected within the Toyota software.

I disconnected and re connected, and everything worked properly until I added my favorites (phone contacts). Then, the stuttering problem started again. So I disconnected, reconnected, and have not added my favorite phone contacts, and a ha, here is no stuttering problem at all anymore!! So this is a work around. Hopefully, once I take my truck in for the 5K service, I can get them to fix this, although I am doubtful I will get anywhere.

Hope this helps someone!

Apr 24, 2016 8:06 AM in response to trunn

Interesting thanks for sharing this truun. Please post the response from the dealer in this thread. The thing I disagree with is that this is a toyota bug. For example, everything was working fine between my 2016 4 runner OS and the previous versions of the iPhone IOS (pre 9.3.1). My assumption is that nothing has changed in the Toyota OS. If that assumption is true (which it may not be), then the only thing that has changed is with the iPhone IOS. What would be an interesting experiment is to get a way to test this, using the same iphone, first with the previous Iphone IOS, and second with IOS 9.3.1. Thoughts?

May 4, 2016 6:46 AM in response to DaCrusher

Is it either a bug with Toyota's or Apple's software. If other make/models's of cars have the same issue with the IOS version, then perhaps it is on Apple and not Toyota! I wonder if you're even able to downgrade to a lower version of IOS? Seriously thinking about moving away from the iphone....

Update to my solution. It still stutters sometimes, but not nearly as much. It ***** not having favorites on the home display.

May 27, 2016 8:25 AM in response to DaCrusher

Yeah. So there is an option to load 4 "favorite" phone numbers in the Toyota system. That way you can call those folks quickly by touching their name on the screen, without having to search through your contacts. Since you have the same year 4runner as me, you should have this option also. I found that if I do NOT set any favorite contacts, the stuttering does not occur nearly as much, almost not at all.

Bluetooth music stuttering - IOS 9.3.1, Iphone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.