Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 dead after iOS 9.3.1 update

I updated to iOS 9.3.1 last week. I had problems with the screen blacking out after the update, after a few minutes white apple logo screen and it would instantly start back up.

On Sunday, while driving my car, phone at 50% but plugged in, the phone screen went black and will not restart. There is no sign of life.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Posted on Apr 12, 2016 2:33 PM

17 replies

Apr 12, 2016 7:24 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I Tried this several times, and took the phone to the Apple Store and they could not get the phone to do anything, like i said, it is dead. It is a few months out of warranty so they were no help. Wondering if there are others in same situation. Phone is only 8 months old. No damage at all, and no problems until recent update.

Apr 12, 2016 7:27 PM in response to dpom

dpom wrote:

It is a few months out of warranty so they were no help. .... Phone is only 8 months old.

How can this be possible. The iPhone comes with a 1-year limited warranty. How can an 8-month old device be a few months out of warranty, unless you purchased it used. Even so, you would have been offered an out of warranty replacement, which is at a significantly reduced price compared to a new iPhone. How is that "no help?"

Apr 13, 2016 6:19 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

My original iphone 6 was replaced in Aug2015, came with a 90 day warranty. My original phone warranty expired Sep2015. Thus, my new phone, although only 8 months old, expired 90 days after I received it.

Out of warranty replacement by Apple was $299 plus tax.

If the Apple iOS update bricked your perfectly fine phone, would you shell out $299 for yet another phone, which would have the same iOS firmware and phone model that was bricked previously?

Apr 13, 2016 8:21 AM in response to dpom

The same thing has happened to my iphone 5s a couple of days after I installed the update.

I have tried:

• restarting the phone by holding the sleep and home button
  • restarting the phone by itunes
  • charging the phone in the wall, laptop and portable charger
  • turning the phone on
  • flicking the ringer
  • cleaning the charging port

but it just stays completely black.

May 6, 2016 5:45 AM in response to dpom

I rebooted my phone 6s few days ago and reset. Just today 98% phone died, i don't why. Too bad i am

living in the province. No service center here. And ineed to spend $200 for the fare. But my phone is still under warranty. Does

anyone know if they could stil cover under warranty? i so helpless. thank you! I found out got n71AP chip samsung!!:'(

May 7, 2016 3:34 AM in response to dpom

Actually, I took my phone to an Apple store and, after battling with them as they continued to argue that the phone was simply too old (which I soon found out it was not) they changed the motherboard, and it started to charge but it would stop charging when it turned on, and would die after it eventually turned on. They told me there was nothing they could do and that the hardware is unrepairable. However, they did confirm that my charger was in fact a counterfeit. So I went home with my phone and charged it, it turned on with the battery sign without the lightning bolt. But instead of just allowing it to die, I placed the end of the charger on the tip of my tongue and, to my amazement it started charging. Then I purchased a new charger and it charges completely fine without having to lick it. So I can't blame the charger completely because at the apple store they obviously used their own, genuine chargers -and it still hadn't charged properly. So I think it's something to do with the motherboard and my charger had considerable corrosion, which would obviously be a contributing factor.

Side note; as Apple couldn't actually repair my phone completely they gave me a discount on the original £189.

May 9, 2016 2:01 AM in response to dpom

Yes i have done the same with an 1phone 5C, after continuing to be reminded to update my phone to the new IOS 9.3. 1, i decided i would and had sufficient charge to do so, it has not turned on in the two days since the update. I have tried going to itunes as said above but it asks me to unlock my phone which of course i cant as it does not start up, i have also tried the other suggestions above but nothing seems to work.

There is obviously a problem with this update and a warning should be sent out if that is the case ( it obviously effects some phones and not others) . My phone is 18 months old but was working fine, i have a second Iphone 6 giving me the same reminders without the option to opt out of this update which i am highly suspicious of.

As for the comment from Chris above, I would say these large companies like Apple are relying on customers like Chris who obviously do not expect service from there purchases any more, if the phone was working perfectly well before the update why should anyone have to pay for a new phone when the update came from the manufacturer of the phone " take responsibility Apple and replace our phones ! " there are to many cases like this for it to be anything but a partially faulty update with expensive consequences for the customer although on the other side of the coin it creates more revenue for Apple, now thats a whole new senario....."

May 9, 2016 2:56 AM in response to johnunderwood62

johnunderwood62 wrote:

Yes i have done the same with an 1phone 5C, after continuing to be reminded to update my phone to the new IOS 9.3. 1, i decided i would and had sufficient charge to do so, it has not turned on in the two days since the update. I have tried going to itunes as said above but it asks me to unlock my phone which of course i cant as it does not start up, i have also tried the other suggestions above but nothing seems to work.

If you followed the instructions I posted above it will not ask you to enter a code on your phone. I'll post them again here so you don't have to scroll up:

Hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time until an Apple logo appears. If the phone does not recover, restore iOS on it using iTunes as described here: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Oct 19, 2016 8:34 AM in response to johnnyrodd2013

this has just happened to my 5s with the new ios 10, blue screen of death and reboot and now it wont even turn on, ive just got this phone on a offer from mighty deals and is under warranty from the crap phone company who allow the company's sell on their sites. I have no phone now and don't know what to do!!

its the updates what are bricking phones and causing damage and they are blaming the hardware, was fine before the update.

iphone 6 dead after iOS 9.3.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.