Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the difference between Home Sharing and Family Sharing?

I bought a new iMac yesterday. I discovered I already had 5 computers authorized when I tried to set this one up. I ended up deauthorizing my MacBook Pro, which I'm going to give to my kid once I finish transferring data, in order to authorize the new Mac.

How do I find out which other Macs my Apple ID is on? Is there any other way aside from deauthorize all to clear out the computers I no longer use? What's the difference between Home Sharing and Family Sharing anyway?

Thanks,

Shawn

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 12, 2016 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2016 5:24 PM

Home Sharing allows another iTunes (on another computer) to access your library. So you could watch a movie from your home desktop on your home laptop.

All devices need to be signed in on the same Apple ID to use the feature.

Family sharing allows different apple ID's (family members) to share purchased content.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2016 5:24 PM in response to shmersh61

Home Sharing allows another iTunes (on another computer) to access your library. So you could watch a movie from your home desktop on your home laptop.

All devices need to be signed in on the same Apple ID to use the feature.

Family sharing allows different apple ID's (family members) to share purchased content.

What's the difference between Home Sharing and Family Sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.