Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can We access HomeKit without Apple Tv

Hi, Can we access accessories which works with HomeKit remotely without using Apple Tv?. According to Apple, It is possible to access using HAP(HomeKit Accessory Protocol), But it is not working for me.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Apr 12, 2016 7:43 PM

4 replies

Apr 14, 2016 2:45 PM in response to Hari_Palempati

It's going to depend on the individual devices you use. For example, I have lights I control with HomeKit that are connected to the network via wifi. They don't require that I have an Apple TV only to be within range of my wifi network. However, I have door locks that are Bluetooth controlled so they do require an Apple TV nearby if I want to control remotely I.e. unlock the door when my sister comes over earlier than expected.

As the other poster notes, you should check with the manufacturer or look at reviews online to make sure the HomeKit device meets your needs to avoid unexpected surprises/expenses....

May 2, 2016 3:46 PM in response to Protodd

Hi Protodd, you are right, If you are in wifi range, you won't be requiring Apple Tv to control devices which are homekit capability. If you are outside your wifi range, then you should be using Apple Tv to control those devices. Here i am speaking about app which can control all the devices, it is not restricted to lights or doors.(am not speaking about manufacturer apps.). For these kind of apps, Apple introduces to use Apple Tv as a hub, so that we can control accessories outside wifi range. But later in WWDC 2015, Apple announces HAP, where Apple Tv is replaced with HAP to control accessories.

I researched on this topic, and find out like they are no accessories which are manufactured to work with HAP. There might be some accessories which will be releasing in June 2016.

Thank you for your help.

Can We access HomeKit without Apple Tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.