Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air screen stuck on circle with slash?

I bought a MacBook Air last Friday and just received it in the mail today. I started it up and followed all the prompts it gave me. It then went to a screen that said "setting up your Mac" and it was on that screen for hours so I looked up how to fix it. I found an article that said to hold down shift+control+option, press the power button, then let go of all buttons. I did that, then restarted my laptop. It made the normal chime, then showed the apple logo with a loading bar underneath (like when you're updating software) and then it goes to a screen with a circle that has a slash through it. The cursor doesn't appear and it doesn't do anything. I don't know what I did to it, but has anyone else experienced this issue and found a resolution?

Posted on Apr 12, 2016 8:26 PM

3 replies

Apr 13, 2016 4:08 AM in response to emeeliuh

Reinstall El Capitan Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you backed up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

If the above does not help:

Install El Capitan from Scratch

Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  2. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the side list.
  3. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

MacBook Air screen stuck on circle with slash?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.