Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

helperamc keep poping up

helperamc keep poping up

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 1:39 AM

10 replies

Feb 27, 2018 8:24 AM in response to lilherk

Here are two methods to eliminate Advance Mac Cleaner on your Macbook – a simple way and a more involved way. Both are effective as of Feb. 27, 2018 but may not be in the future. Hopefully the first method works for you – try it and see. If the pop-ups recur after that, try the second.

If you have any open documents, save and close them. You’ll be restarting your MacBook at least once after this procedure.

First Method

1) Open Finder (the blue-white happy face icon on your dock)

2) Click the “Column View” tab (looks like three vertical bars). I find this to be the easiest way to see contents of folders and subfolders

3) Hold “alt-option” key down

4) Click “Go” tab on top of screen

5) Click on “Library”

6) Look for a subfolder called “Advanced Mac Cleaner” and highlight it (click once on it) if it’s there

7) Click “File” on top of screen, then “Move To Trash”

8) Look for another folder in Library called “Application Support” and click on it

9) Look for two subfolders – “Advanced Mac Cleaner” and “amc” – if they exist, highlight each one, click on “File” on top of screen, then “Move To Trash”

10) Once all of these folders have been moved to the trash bin, empty the trash bin

by clicking on “Finder” and “Empty Trash Bin”. Then restart your Macbook

Very important – after restarting, perform this procedure a second time and verify that these folders no longer exist. There is a “phoenix” feature in some versions that will reproduce these folders from hidden files.

If the procedure above doesn’t eliminate your pop-ups, the second method is more involved - it will find and target the specific file that is creating the pop-up on your screen. You may have to perform it more than once if you have different pop-ups occurring.

Second Method

1) When the pop-up appears on screen, don’t close it. Do this:

2) Open “Finder”.

3) In the left hand column, click on “Applications”.

4) Scroll down to and open (click on the arrow next to) “Utilities”, then double click on “Activity Monitor”.

5) In the Activity Monitor window, look for a process called “amc”, “helperamc”, “hlpramc”, or “Advanced Mac Cleaner”. If you see the offending pop-up on screen, one of these processes is running and should be in this window.

6) Click twice on it to bring up a diagnostic window, then click on “Sample”. When the sample window opens, look for a path designation in the first few lines that shows the offending file’s location. It is this path that you want to highlight and copy (hold Command key and press C key together). Once this is done, follow this procedure, similar to the first one above:

7) Open Finder (the blue-white happy face icon on your dock).

8) Click the “Column View” tab (looks like three vertical bars).

9) Hold “alt-option” key down.

10) Click “Go” tab on top of screen.

11) Click on “Library”.

12) Paste the copied file location in the search bar by clicking once in it (on top right of screen), then hold Command key down and press “V” key. The offending file should then be seen in the rightmost column.

13) Highlight the directory that this file is in.

14) Click “File” on top of screen, then “Move To Trash”.

15) Once this folder has been moved to the trash bin, empty the trash bin by clicking on “Finder” and “Empty Trash Bin”. Then restart your Macbook.

After restarting, check Finder a second time and verify that this file/folder no longer exists.

Hope this helps you. Post your results so others can benefit.

Happy hunting!

Apr 13, 2016 9:33 AM in response to lilherk

You installed a fake "utility" called "Advanced Mac Cleaner" and/or "AdwareCleaner." Like any software that purports to automatically "clean up" or "speed up" a Mac, it's a scam.

To remove it, please take the steps below. Some of the files listed may be absent in your case. Back up all data before proceeding.

Malware is always changing to get around the defenses against it. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

If you paid for the software with a credit card, consider reporting the charge to the bank as fraudulent.

Step 1

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder named "LaunchAgents" may open. If it does, look inside it for files with a name that begins in either of these ways:

com.pcv.

com.adwarecleaner.

Move any such files to the Trash.

Log out or restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step 2

The malware is now permanently inactivated, as long as you don't reinstall it. This step is optional.

Delete the following items, if they exist, as in Step 1:

/Library/Application Support/amc

~/Library/AdvancedMacCleaner

There's no need to log out or restart after taking this step.

The problem may have started when you downloaded something, such as the application "FileZilla," from the "Sourceforge" website or some other Internet cesspit. Never visit that site again. All legitimate software should be downloaded directly from the developer's website or from the Mac App Store, if applicable.

"Advanced Mac Cleaner" may have been bundled with other malware that was installed at the same time. If you still have problems with web browsers after removing it, ask for instructions.

May 20, 2016 4:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for posting this. I tried everything you listed. Except for some extensions, which I removed, I found nothing. I think I know how this happened. A fishy FLASH update. It all started there. Should have known when the op system warned me I was downloading a program from an unknown source and asked me, 'Do I want to continue?' or something like that.

I can quit the HELPERAMC process in the activity monitor, but it restarts instantly and creates its annoying popup windows. Having tried everything you suggested, I am at a loss as to where to look for the thing keeps restarting the HELPERAMC process. Any further thoughts? I really want to get rid of this thing.

[Side Note: I am also at a loss as to why those with talent turn their energies to such nefarious purposes. I fail to see the 'pleasure' in causing others distress.]

May 20, 2016 5:44 AM in response to NewEnglandScene

You may have installed ad-injection malware ("adware").

Don't use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product on a Mac. There is never a need for it, and relying on it for protection makes you more vulnerable to attack, not less.

Back up all data first.

If you're not already running the latest version of OS X, updating or upgrading in the App Store may cause the adware to be removed automatically. If you are already running the latest version, please log out or restart the computer. Again, some kinds of malware will be removed—not all. There is no such thing as automatic removal of all possible malware, either by OS X or by third-party software. That's why you can't rely on software to protect you.

If the malware is removed in your case, you'll still need to make changes to the way you use the computer to protect yourself from further attacks. Ask if you need guidance.

If the malware is not removed automatically, see below.

This easy procedure will detect any kind of adware that I know of. Deactivating it is a separate, and even easier, procedure.

Some legitimate software is ad-supported and may display ads in its own windows or in a web browser while it's running. That's not malware and it may not show up. Also, some websites carry intrusive popup ads that may be mistaken for adware.

If none of your web browsers is working well enough to carry out these instructions, restart the computer in safe mode. The malware will be disabled temporarily.

Step 1

Please triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. Press return. Either a folder named "LaunchAgents" will open, or you'll get a notice that the folder can't be found. If the folder isn't found, go to the next step.

If the folder does open, press the key combination command-2 to select list view, if it's not already selected. Please don't skip this step.

There should be a column in the Finder window headed Date Modified. Click that heading twice to sort the contents by date with the newest at the top. If necessary, enlarge the window so that all of the contents are showing.

Follow the instructions in this support article under the heading "Take a screenshot of a window." An image file with a name beginning in "Screen Shot" should be saved to the Desktop. Open the screenshot and make sure it's readable. If not, capture a smaller part of the screen showing only what needs to be shown.

Start a reply to this message. Drag the image file into the editing window to upload it. You can also include text in the reply.

Leave the folder open for now.

Step 2

Do as in Step 1 with this line:

/Library/LaunchAgents

The folder that may open will have the same name, but is not the same, as the one in Step 1. As in that step, the folder may not exist.

Step 3

Repeat with this line:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

This time the folder will be named "LaunchDaemons."

Step 4

Open the Safari preferences window and select the Extensions tab. If any extensions are listed, post a screenshot. If there are no extensions, or if you can't launch Safari, skip this step.

Step 5

If you use the Firefox or Chrome browser, open its extension list and do as in Step 4.

May 20, 2016 7:34 PM in response to lilherk

Step 1:

After finding Advance Pro Mac Cleaner in Applications folder, delete it by moving it to your trash.

Step 2:

Open your terminal window.

Change to your root directory by typing: cd /

Then change into the /Users/your-user-name/Library/Application Support by typing: cd /Users/your-user-name/Library/Application Support

Look inside this directory by typing: ls

You should see a folder named amc, and delete it by typing: sudo rm -rf amc/

helperamc keep poping up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.