Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! I need new Mac friendly router.

I have been using an older time capsule as a hub in series with uverse Arris NGV599. This setup provided me with 7 or so ethernet ports. Recently ethernet not wifi has been a bit wonky so I have decided to run run wifi and ethernet thru a new router replacing router function of the NGV599 and bypassing screwy AT&T DNS servers. I need a lot of ports, however - 5 or more for time capsule, NAS, 2 wired desktops, and a wired entertainment center with a "smart" tv. I would like to not add more switches than necessary. I also need robust strong wifi, however, and airplay support since my music server depends on Apple TV. Does anyone have recommendations for a 6-8 port wifi router (dual band?) with strong wifi that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I would prefer that is was painted hot pink and used green technology (sorry, bad joke).

Thanks,

David - Dallas

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 9:25 AM

6 replies

Apr 13, 2016 9:34 AM in response to David L Watkins

The "tall" Apple Router is very good, supports 802.11ac, and cooperates easily with other devices. It comes with three Gigabit Ethernet ports, but an inexpensive Gigabit Switch can be added with no fuss to produce as many Gigabit Ethernet ports as you need.

I observe mine using three streams for very good speeds in both (2.4 and 5 GHz) bands. It readily adapts to existing Routers, and if you make all the names and passwords the same, it will provide a unified "roaming" network without any additional configuration.

Apr 13, 2016 9:52 AM in response to David L Watkins

If you want 6 ports on the router, your choices are limited and expensive:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=LAN%2fWAN+ports_6x+10%2f100%2f1000Mbp s+LAN&ci=9904&N=4294542239+3720114999

Typical configuration is 4-5 ports. I have this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1004333-REG/asus_rt_ac56u_dual_band_wirele ss_ac1200_gigabit.html

I have an 8-port switch hooked up, and three direct connections. I've had this setup for several years, and have no complaints, but my setup is probably not as complicated as yours.

Apr 13, 2016 1:27 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

I think it may be a mistake to chase built-in Ethernet ports over other, more important features.

This. We have quite a bit of stuff hooked up in my home network and I haven't experienced any noticeable problems, let alone issues bad enough that they would make me want to shell out $400 for a router with one ot two more ports.

Help! I need new Mac friendly router.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.