Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I slow down time-lapse video I took?

I accidentally recorded a video using the Time-Lapse video feature. How can I slow the video in order to view it?

Also, does it not record sound when it's in Time-Lapse mode?

iPad 2, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 9:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2017 8:29 PM

I've been wondering about this for a long time and I finally figured it out! Just download the iMovie app, I just did it on my phone, and you can change the speed from there. I changed a 3 second time-lapsed video to 15 seconds so I could actually see what was happening.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 20, 2017 8:29 PM in response to gm chichi

I've been wondering about this for a long time and I finally figured it out! Just download the iMovie app, I just did it on my phone, and you can change the speed from there. I changed a 3 second time-lapsed video to 15 seconds so I could actually see what was happening.

Apr 17, 2016 11:36 PM in response to gm chichi

I recall seeing different peoples timelapses that do contain audio. There should be some app that should do the trick! (Dont know any tho)

There is a YouTube-channel that uses this feature often. I think they're called Home Made Modern. He probably uses real-time video and compresses it in editing afterwards.

Its just apples camera app that is limited to just one setting. There is so much more to time-lapse than that. 🙂

Good luck!

Apr 18, 2016 8:35 AM in response to J.Sund

J.Sund wrote:

I recall seeing different peoples timelapses that do contain audio. There should be some app that should do the trick! (Dont know any tho)

There is a YouTube-channel that uses this feature often. I think they're called Home Made Modern. He probably uses real-time video and compresses it in editing afterwards.

Its just apples camera app that is limited to just one setting. There is so much more to time-lapse than that. 🙂

Good luck!

You can add background music and audio to a time lapse video in post. But generally speaking ambient sound from the scene being shot in Time-Lapse would be so sped up as to be unintelligible noise, so generally it is not recorded.

However depending on what you are recording some Time-Lapse filmmakers will have a separate audio recorder to get ambient sounds, and then add it in post production. Though the sounds most likely will not match the image tightly.

how do I slow down time-lapse video I took?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.