Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete Remote Management?

Hello,

I am trying to delete Remote Management on my MBP. I have viewed the Apple Support page titled "Uninstall or disable Apple Remote Destop" but it would not allow me to get past #1. When I attempted to drag it to the trash I received a message that it is required by OS X. I have deleted it on another computer successfully but on my MPB it will not allow. Using 10.11.4.

Suggestions?

Thank you...

Mac Pro

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 12:06 PM

Can you elaborate on what your goal is here?

So you're removing the Apple Remote Desktop app and its associated data, using this Uninstall or disable Apple Remote Desktop - Apple Support sequence?

The associated Remote Management setting — as differentiated from that file the support article discusses — can be disabled in System Preferences, but it's part of OS X, and not something that can be separately deleted.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2016 12:06 PM in response to id90

Can you elaborate on what your goal is here?

So you're removing the Apple Remote Desktop app and its associated data, using this Uninstall or disable Apple Remote Desktop - Apple Support sequence?

The associated Remote Management setting — as differentiated from that file the support article discusses — can be disabled in System Preferences, but it's part of OS X, and not something that can be separately deleted.

Nov 22, 2017 6:35 AM in response to Deals4u

Deals4u wrote:

I bought a phone from a app called OfferUp and it has remote management on it.

Not sure of the context; what you’re asking about, or commenting about.

Probably better to start your own thread in an iOS community, as this thread is focused on some specific macOS apps and tools, and not those of iOS.

If yiu’re referring to available tools, iOS clients for remote screen sharing have been available from the app store for a while. Also some remote monitoring and other related tools. I’ve used several of these apps, both for screen sharing with macOS and for other remote management tasks, as well apps that provide telnet and ssh clients for command line of remote servers.

Inventory and related tracking and security tasks are usually part of an MDM package, if you’re administering a bunch of iOS cliente.

If the phone is iOS and you want rid of the package or monitoring, delete the app. If the phone security has been somehow compromised and won’t or can’t delete the app, use DFU to reload the phone from iTunes.

I’d also have a chat with whoever sold the phone, as there might be more going on here. Some of the phones acquired through online auction services and similar sales channels have been lost by or stolen from their original owners, and some of those phones remain activation-locked to the original owner's Apple ID. If that’s the case here, then the only way to clear that lock is via Apple and/or the original owner, and Apple is going to want to see ID or other proof and that’ll probably also involve local police, too. DFU will not clear activation lock.

This iOS activation lock is also completely unrelated to macOS and to the Apple Remote Desktop app; to this community.

Apr 13, 2016 4:56 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for your response.

Actually I'm not sure if it is Apple or not. I am looking to delete anything for Remote Desktop--Apple or otherwise. I do have it disabled in System Preferences, but I was looking to get rid of it all together. I saw it earlier and I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure now where I noticed it so I can pull it up and give more details. 😊

Apr 13, 2016 5:15 PM in response to id90

The Remote Management bits that are controlled by System Preferences > Sharing are part of OS X and while those can be disabled, they are not removable through any supported means.

Apple Remote Desktop is a separate product. That product can be removed.

Screen Sharing is part of OS X and — while it too can be disabled by System Preferences > Sharing — there is no supported means to remove either the screen sharing client or the screen sharing server, as that is part of OS X.

If you have particular concerns here around privacy or security, those are probably best addressed more directly.

How do I delete Remote Management?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.