Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to permanently delete photos on mac?

I recently got a new mac air and I imported some old photos from a hard drive. After I realized I didn't exactly need that many pictures on my computer, I decided to delete them from iphoto. When I did, it still showed that 86gb was being used on my computer when I checked my mac storage. I have also checked the "recently deleted" folder on iphotos but it's also empty. I don't know how to get rid of the 86 gb. Help??!!

MacBook Air, iOS 9.3.1, null

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 11:33 AM

If you are using iPhotos, In the sidebar of iPhotos you’ll see a Trash can. Right click it and select delete. Until you actually empty the trashcan nothing is deleted from iPhotos. If you are using Photos the pictures aren’t immediately deleted in case you want to change your mind. It takes about a month. If you select the Recently Deleted folder youll see under each picture how many days are left before that photo will be permanently deleted.

I mention both because you specified iPhotos in your question but I don’t recall it having a recently deleted folder. Photos does have a recently deleted folder. If you are referring to Photos you can speed up the deletion process by logging onto your iCloud account and selecting the Photos app there. Then select Albums. Open the Recently deleted folder. At the top of the browser window to the right you’ll see Delete All. Click on that and it will delete all those photos permanently. This should restore the space on your computer. When my Photos library was totally screwed up this is how I started all over.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2016 11:33 AM in response to SF224

If you are using iPhotos, In the sidebar of iPhotos you’ll see a Trash can. Right click it and select delete. Until you actually empty the trashcan nothing is deleted from iPhotos. If you are using Photos the pictures aren’t immediately deleted in case you want to change your mind. It takes about a month. If you select the Recently Deleted folder youll see under each picture how many days are left before that photo will be permanently deleted.

I mention both because you specified iPhotos in your question but I don’t recall it having a recently deleted folder. Photos does have a recently deleted folder. If you are referring to Photos you can speed up the deletion process by logging onto your iCloud account and selecting the Photos app there. Then select Albums. Open the Recently deleted folder. At the top of the browser window to the right you’ll see Delete All. Click on that and it will delete all those photos permanently. This should restore the space on your computer. When my Photos library was totally screwed up this is how I started all over.

How to permanently delete photos on mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.