Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An iPod has been detected but Apple is FAIL.

so, doing a search for this yields so many users having the same issue on so many different apple products across so many different versions of windows I can't find a fix. I have tried the following:

- new fresh install of itunes

- updated windows (7)

- unplugged and plugged in my iTouch 4(?) 32g more times than I've kept track

- uninstalled the driver, reinstalled it

- installed the driver by navigating to c:\program files\common files\apple\mobile device\drivers

- rebooted.. rebooted some more..

So about the ONLY thing I haven't tried is installing an OLD version of iTunes that might support older Apple products. Is that what I really have to do? I downloaded and installed whatever is current 12.3.3.17.

I will not be buying a new apple product to replace this one because Apple wants me to buy their new crap every 3 years.

Thank you!

pc, Windows XP, blah

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 10:49 AM

9 replies

Apr 29, 2016 6:28 AM in response to linuxfanboy

I suggest you follow the procedure in turingtest2's iTunes for Windows troubleshooting guide:

Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates

The general troubleshooting advice when iTunes fails to install properly (and reinstalling or repairing it does not work) is to remove not only iTunes but all related components, reboot, remove the target installation folders and reinstall. The order you uninstall components can be very important. See the section:

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components

You can also find various versions of iTunes to download in the section:

iTunes installers

(The latest version of iTunes is not be obsolete with iTouch. There must be some other reason.)

Apr 29, 2016 6:39 AM in response to linuxfanboy

If your iOS device isn't showing in iTunes try the following:

1. Open Control Panel > Device Manager
  2. Plug in your device
  3. Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    It is also possible the device may show under Imaging Devices, Portable Devices or Other Devices or as an MTB USB Device.
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software...
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. Click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  9. Click Next, then Close and exit Device Manager

For step 3 above, open the device manager. Expand any of these sections that are listed.

• Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  • Imaging Devices
  • Portable Devices
  • Other Devices

Connect the device. You should hear the telltale sound of Windows device connection and one section should gain a new entry. That should be your device. It may not be labelled correctly at this stage. If you don't hear a noise suspect a damaged cable.

Or try If iTunes doesn‘t recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Failing that try a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes as set out in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

Or lastly try rolling back to the last build of iTunes that worked for you. See iTunes installers for download links. If you're rolling back from 12.3.3.17 to 12.3.2.35, for example, then you'll also need to roll back the database in the way described in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. The tip includes suggestions for reintroducing any recent purchases so at worst you lose a few playcounts and/or a recently created playlist.

tt2

May 25, 2016 6:26 AM in response to turingtest2

well, I used to use iTunes on a VM (virtualbox) on Linux.. which was a PITA to get working but it worked. When I upgraded I inadvertently wiped out the VM, so I decided perhaps it would be easier setting it up on an actual partition running windows 7 rather than the VM.

After installing 5 different versions of itunes with no success, I've decided I've wasted enough time on this. I bought a Moto G on ebay for $50 and will replace my itouch with an android solution. I was perfectly happy with the itouch hardware and functionality, but itunes and the draconian proprietary management of it and the complete failure to work renders this device useless.

I do appreciate the assistance and attempts to help me solve this. I truly wish something would have worked. I was perfectly happy with my itouch.

An iPod has been detected but Apple is FAIL.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.