Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Animated gif

Can I embed an animated gif in Apple mail? If I can, I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks.

Chip

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 2:20 PM

Drag them from the Desktop into the body of the email. It won't automate while you're composing but will once it's delivered. Try sending one to yourself.

User uploaded file

5 replies

Apr 13, 2016 3:02 PM in response to RCMjr

FWIW, I did the same thing but, the GIF didn't animate when I sent it to my Gmail account from an AOL mail account and opened it in webmail.

On the other hand, I emailed myself from Gmail webmail and I could see the gif animate while I was composing the email and when I received it.

I think there is no guarantee a GIF will animate. It seems to depend on unknown factors unclear to me.

Apr 14, 2016 11:05 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad wrote:

Does the gif animate if you drag it out of the email that didn't animate and into a browser window? If it still doesn't then the email server(s) it's going thru is killing the animation.

I tend to agree. I think back in the late '90s some email providers started doing just that because of the use of GIFs by spammers. Perhaps some still do.

Animated gif

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.