Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 on Macbook Pro

I have a 13-inch 2011 Macbook Pro. I have installed a windows 10 iso file downloaded and a usb. Bootcamp won't let me install it though, any tips?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 5:29 PM

17 replies

Jun 24, 2017 1:31 PM in response to willfalb

1.) Make sure you have a CD of windows 10 can easily be obtained by downloading the ISO at Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)

a.) Now put your disc in and to burn it use the following command in terminal. hdiutil burn (Drag the ISO you're going to burn into the terminal window) then hit enter. NOTE: To avoid disc burn fail please don't let your mac go to sleep and don't use any programs to keep it up.

2.) Once you have your disc burned with windows 10 go into bootcamp connect your USB and only check "Download Apple Support software" once that downloads on your USB stick we create the partition.

3.) Close bootcamp and go into "Disk Utility" Right over Macintosh HD (Your mac patition click the partitioner above it.) It should be called APPLE HDD or something near that for you.

4.) Click the partition button when you select APPLE HDD. Click the + symbol then chose the file size of the partition and format the partition as MS-DOS (FAT) then partition it.

5.) Once partitioned restart your mac and hold the option/alt key. NOTE: Make sure your installer disc is put in. When the disc has loaded in the boot menu click windows and run the installer. If you have no product key click "I don't have a product key" and chose between windows 10 Home and Pro (I recommend pro).

6.) When it you get the 2 options which are Upgrade and Custom (Advanced) Click Custom (Advanced).

7.) Select the partition you created for windows and click format. (If you don't see format show advanced options and you will see format.).

8.) Click next and let windows 10 install. once it installs and you're on the desktop you will need to install the drivers. Since windows 10 isn't supported by mac BOOTCAMP won't let you use the installer.

9.) To fix this go into downloads on windows and create a folder called BootCampDrivers

10.) Once you have done this drag all the files from the flash drive to the BootCampDrivers folder.

11.) Go into the search bar of windows applications and search cmd. Right click cmd and click run as administrator.

12.) Run this cmd command cd /Users/WINDOWS COMPUTER NAME YOU CHOSE/Downloads/BootCampDrivers/BootCamp/Drivers/Apple Once you have typed this command hit enter.

13.) Then run this command in cmd msiexec /i NAME OF BOOTCAMP INSTALLER and hit enter.

14.) To find name of Bootcamp installer click downloads> BootCampDrivers> Bootcamp> Drivers> Apple and see the name of the file with the bootcamp icon and type that name. then hit enter on that command.

15.) The bootcamp installer will show up. Run it and install all the drivers.

16.) Once the drivers install restart your computer and boot it into windows.

17.) Your display might be dimmed to fix this go into the windows application search bar and search power. Click power. Change the balanced power plan. Click advanced settings scroll down to display open that tab up. Open up the adaptive brightness tab and turn off adaptive brightness.

18.) Now windows is set up properly and you are free to do as you please.

19.) Please mark this as helpful and have a nice day. 🙂

Apr 13, 2016 7:53 PM in response to willfalb

A 2011 Mac does not officially have Apple support for W10, so you will run into driver issues. Your 2011 model has a built-in Optical drive. USB boot causes issues on such models (2012 Macs are an exception). Burn your W10 64-bit ISO to a physical DVD and use BC Assistant to install Windows. Do not use a combined 32-bit/64-bti installer ISO.

Apr 30, 2016 7:19 PM in response to willfalb

willfalb wrote:

What do I do to download bootcamp when I first start windows

BC Assistant is already on your Mac. BC Drivers can be downloaded using BC Assistant to a USB flash drive. They can also be downloaded using Apple Software Update on the Windows side. In your specific case, because 2011 does not have official drivers, you will need to install W7/W8.1 drivers from Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support and use Administrative rights and compatibility mode to be W7/W8.1

how do I switch between Windows and OSX

Please see https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/controlpanel/5.1/ and Boot Camp: Set the default operating system .

The preferred route to get W10 on your model is to clean install W7/W8.1 on your Mac, which is fully supported. Once installed, run an in-place upgrade to get to W10.

Windows 10 on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.