Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System files stuck in Trash

I have an Imac 2007. I was deleting Adobe files permanently due to a problem with Adobe applications but this was delayed for a bigger problem: Apparently i accidentally put an undetermined number of system files in the Trash. Now i cant see no text options to open Finder or other system folders, cant see options in any task or tool bar from de system.

How can i open Trash folder to restore those items in it if i cant see the "Open" option displayed?

Is there other way i can restore the files from the Trash?

Thanks for your time.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 8:20 PM

You can't unless you can connect it via Firewire to another Mac that has Firewire. You can then access the iMac by putting it in Target Disk Mode while connected to the other Mac. Otherwise, you will have to reinstall OS X:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Make sure you have a current backup.

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the Commnd and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Choose Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.
  3. After Disk Utility loads select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) entry from the side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button.
  4. When the process finishes, quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  5. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2016 8:20 PM in response to Myke Salge

You can't unless you can connect it via Firewire to another Mac that has Firewire. You can then access the iMac by putting it in Target Disk Mode while connected to the other Mac. Otherwise, you will have to reinstall OS X:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Make sure you have a current backup.

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the Commnd and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Choose Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.
  3. After Disk Utility loads select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) entry from the side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button.
  4. When the process finishes, quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  5. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

System files stuck in Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.