Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote deszmtop

Sorry up front for my ignorance on the topic. I have absolutely no experience with the ARD product but I'm trying to find out this key point to see if ARD is a wise purchase for what I need. For ARD do you need a dedicated server for it if you want to schedule items? Here's what I want to do... I want to set up a NetExtender VPN so I can get into the network from anywhere. Heres my question though... If I run something will it "render" it on the client machine? So if I disconnect the main machine that has ARD installed things will keep going on the client machine? Or will it drop off when the ARD installed machine drops off? i hope this makes sense. If anybody needs further clarification let me know and I'll do my best to explain more. Thanks a ton in advance!

Apple Remote Desktop

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 7:43 PM

2 replies

Apr 14, 2016 9:32 AM in response to 2112overture

“For ARD do you need a dedicated server for it if you want to schedule items?”

Not really. Useful if you do though depending on what you want to achieve.

“Here’s my question . . . If I run something will it "render" it on the client machine?”

Yes. The instructions (or task) you’ve sent to the controlled workstation will continue on that workstation until they’re complete. See below.

“So if I disconnect the main machine that has ARD installed things will keep going on the client machine?” “Or will it drop off when the ARD installed machine drops off?”

ARD Admin says as much on page 167:

https://www.apple.com/euro/remotedesktop/pdf/ARD_Admin_Guide_v3.3.pdf

Apr 14, 2016 12:08 PM in response to 2112overture

This seems to be a popular question lately — how to perform remote access via VPN or otherwise — and this part is not really specifically related to ARD. The remote access is the "from anywhere" part of your question, and that tends to be the part of this that involves some amount of configuration effort and troubleshooting to get that VPN connection to work. Once the VPN is configured and stable, then ssh or ARD or whatever other IP-based protocol can all operate over that link. For what you're after with the remote display, you can use the built-in Screen Sharing server, and can use an iOS client from the app store, or you can use the OS X client.

Remote deszmtop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.