Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound after extended sleep

I have a new Apple TV with Siri and a Sony Bravia. After I sleep my Apple TV for a few hours, sometimes when I wake it up there is no sound. Re-sleeping or restarting fixes it. Doesn't happen all the time. Audio is going out through HDMI into my TV which is then output to my Yamaha receiver. HDMI control is on so my remote turns my TV and adjust volume for my reciever. Just a wild guess but is the sound card in the Apple TV possibly not waking up when everything else does. I have tried this on a few TVs and its the same. Only thing consistent is it happens after being asleep for awhile. Hardware glitch? Thoughts?

Apple TV, tvOS 9.2

Posted on Apr 14, 2016 3:18 AM

8 replies

May 5, 2016 2:58 AM in response to Vinceassociate

Yea I isolated it down to the Apple TV. When I get no sound first tried turning on and off the reciever, then ran an iPod through the Aux, had sound. Waited until it happened it again but this time hooked up to the TV, same problem.. Turned on and off the TV still no sound unless Apple TV is restarted. Then repeated the whole problem with a new HDMI came just for the **** of it, a nice one too. Same thing. Anyone else have this issue?

May 5, 2016 3:28 PM in response to dtalastas

That was unclear from your posts.

If you hooked the ATV to your TV and relied on the TV speakers only and saw the problem, I would suspect the ATV.

I would do a factory restore to the ATV and if it remained an issue, I would return the ATV for a replacement.

I have an ATV3 and ATV4 and both spend long periods asleep. They never had an issue with audio loss.

Restore your Apple TV to its factory settings - Apple Support

Make sure you pick RESTORE not RESET.

No sound after extended sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.