Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware on a Mac OS 10.7.5

I have a malware infection on my Mac which has taken control of Safari. Sometimes a search will work but usually I am redirected to other sites such as Mackeeper and The Brit Method plus I get many unwanted pop-ups with no way of closing. Additionally, links from emails to Safari (eg. clicking on a Rightmove email to look at a property) no longer function. I have done everything I can:

Reset Safari in preferences

Deleted all extensions

Checked Activity Monitor (but nothing looked out of the ordinary)

Also, I have tried downloading anti malware (Avast and AVG) but they then tell me they do not work on my version of OS (10.7.5). I checked for OS updates but I'm told I'm completely up to date.

Can anyone out there help?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 14, 2016 5:59 AM

4 replies

Apr 14, 2016 8:18 AM in response to Cliftonlad

Do what WZZZ suggests.

Cliftonlad wrote:

Also, I have tried downloading anti malware (Avast and AVG) but they then tell me they do not work on my version of OS (10.7.5).

Do not install any AV software on your Mac. They can very well corrupt you Mac and is not necessary, Macs have built in protection. Please review this:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

Ciao.

Apr 14, 2016 11:16 AM in response to Cliftonlad

That link was for the 10.7.5 version.

As for not using any A-V on a Mac, depends entirely on the A-V. Perhaps, and only perhaps, not needed on OSs still supported by Apple, 10.9 through 10.11, where vulnerabilities are still being addressed, but on anything below 10.9, might be of some use. But nothing to depend on exclusively.

Malware on a Mac OS 10.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.