Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iPad be the only monitor for a Mac Mini?

For the most part, everything we do on the computer can be done with the iPad. However, there are a few applications for which we need a computer running something other than iOS. What we'd like to do is for each member of the family to have an iPad, which would work for 95% of what we do, and then have one Mac Mini that anyone could use for those applications that don't work on an iPad. We don't really want the kids using a MacBook, because they are too fragile, and we don't want a monitor permanently sitting around the house. I've seen software that will turn the iPad into a monitor for the Mac Mini. Can this work as the only monitor? I"m envisioning the MacMini sitting unobtrusively somewhere in the house so that any of us could "plug in" (either wirelessly or wired, not sure how that works) to it with an iPad when more computer power is required. The MacMini would never be used with anything other than an iPad as the monitor. Is this possible? Thanks!

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), iPad, MacMini

Posted on Apr 14, 2016 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2016 10:00 AM

There are apps like the free (for non-commercial use) Team Viewer and paid LogMeIn and GoToMyPC that allows an iPad to control/use a computer..

You do need a real monitor and keyboard to initially setup the Mac

4 replies

Apr 14, 2016 9:56 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you! I could borrow a monitor for the initial setup. One more question - if I'm using the iPad as the monitor via one of these applications, then is it still possible to move something (such as music) from the Mac Mini onto the iPad I'm using as the monitor? Or once the iPad is in use as a monitor, is its hard drive totally inaccessible?

Apr 16, 2016 6:17 AM in response to WildStones

doubt you can do 100% without

many of these programs like vnc server clients and team viewer and the likes still require acceptance of the connection before the ios device is used as active display

when used as a monitor the iPad is just that it only display

I use a program called air display so my ipad or iPhone act as the third monitor for my iMac with a extra 27" monitor beside it

Can iPad be the only monitor for a Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.