Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages won't open files that I updated 2 days ago, missing index.xml extension??

I updated several marketing materials two days ago. When I saved the files, there was a pop-up notice that they were being saved as a newer version of the file due to the most recent update. Today, I went to make some final tweeks before uploading the changes to my printer, and the files will not open. It says "missing index.xml file" as the error message. I just checked for and downloaded/installed all available updates, and restarted my macbook, but the files still will not open. PLEASE HELP ME RECOVER MY FILES!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Pages '09 v4.1

Posted on Apr 14, 2016 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2016 11:44 AM

You have two versions of Pages on your Mac, probably Pages '09 and Pages 5.6.1.

When you clicked on your Pages '09 version it previously opened in Pages 5,.6.1 and was converted to a Pages 5.6.1 format.

When you double clicked on the document today you opened it in Pages '09 which can not open the Pages 5.6.1 format.

To open the document in the correct App, right click on the document and choose. Pages '09 has a blue ink bottle icon, Pages 5 has an Orange generic looking document.

If you want to convert your document back to Pages '09 because it has over 100 more features and is so much more productive:

Open document in Pages 5.x > File > Export > Pages '09

Peter

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2016 11:44 AM in response to refinedk9

You have two versions of Pages on your Mac, probably Pages '09 and Pages 5.6.1.

When you clicked on your Pages '09 version it previously opened in Pages 5,.6.1 and was converted to a Pages 5.6.1 format.

When you double clicked on the document today you opened it in Pages '09 which can not open the Pages 5.6.1 format.

To open the document in the correct App, right click on the document and choose. Pages '09 has a blue ink bottle icon, Pages 5 has an Orange generic looking document.

If you want to convert your document back to Pages '09 because it has over 100 more features and is so much more productive:

Open document in Pages 5.x > File > Export > Pages '09

Peter

Apr 14, 2016 1:02 PM in response to refinedk9

They did not think this through at all. Apple does not put itself in the shoes of users, despite how much they talk as if they do.

It was even worse when Pages first came out and many users were having older files trashed by Pages 5 with no warning.

Apple did not remove previuos versions of Pages because there was little backward compatibility and Pages 5 is so lacking in features, even more so then.

This is all history however. Pages 5 has been out for over 2 and a half years. Stick with Pages '09 if you can.

Peter

Pages won't open files that I updated 2 days ago, missing index.xml extension??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.