Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nikon d5 RAW File Support

Please, please, PLEASE tell me Apple will update their system to support Nikon's new D5 raw files for Aperture? I'm just not ready yet to go to the dark side... Does ANYONE know anything?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 14, 2016 5:00 PM

10 replies

Apr 15, 2016 1:58 AM in response to j.ferrara

The list of cameras supported in Aperture is here: http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

You will notice, that Apple is no longer updating this list, since the development of Aperture has been stopped. My new camera Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ300 is not on the list, but it is on the list of cameras supported in El Capitan, and Aperture can use the RAW support for the FZ300 just fine. Others reported as well, that the El Capitan RAW support is working for cameras that are not officially supported in Aperture according to the Aperture tech specs.

If the Ninon D5 will be supported in El Capitan, it will probably also work in Aperture. But Apple never announces new Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Updates in advance. They are coming regularly as a surprise. If you look at the list, that Larry posted you can see that most of the new Canon cameras and Nikon cameras are very well supported, while other camera brands are not. With a Nikon you will probably be lucky.

Aperture 3.6 is working for the current MacOS X version El Capitan. And you will be able to use any new Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Updates for El Capitan from Aperture. But if Apple should release the RAW support for your camera only later, after the next big System upgrade and if Aperture should no longer work on the next system, you will not be able to use newer RAW support for your camera from Aperture,because the RAW support will require a different system.

Apr 15, 2016 8:53 AM in response to léonie

Thank you very much léonie... I truly appreciate your comment, and that's exactly what I thought. The D5 raw file is not recognized with Photos either, so it's just a matter of time. Pidu, I fully understand that Aperture is dead- but not quite yet. It still works and is FAR better of a image management program than LR. After all, Aperture invented non destructive editing... they failed in not making it both platforms, so of course Adobe stole it and ran with it. I had both for years, then found Aperture had more custom features.

I know someday I'll make the move to LR, but dealing with a studio Mac Pro for portraits, and a Macbook Pro for weddings, I need a system where I can move shoots and jobs from one computer to another. From what I understand LR does not do that- am I wrong in this?

For anyone reading this, can I download in raw (lets say 2000 pics), then cull, do my adjustments, keywords, ratings, subfolders, renumber, etc on my Macbook Pro, and THEN move that shoot to another computer and open it up having everything be the same- all in LR?

Apr 15, 2016 9:28 AM in response to j.ferrara

What I did with unsupported RAW files is convert them with the free Adobe DNG converter and imported the DNG to Aperture. This way, I still have a RAW quality and open them in Aperture. Just use the uncompressed DNG format.

I just checked, Adobe DNG converter supports the D5 already. And that means that Lightroom will also be able to process the D5 files.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16064/adobe-dng-converter

Camera RAW page

The direct download link: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=6028&fileID=6074

Nikon d5 RAW File Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.