Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old ipod not connecting - no app store

I recently purchased a used ipod touch (1st or 2nd generation?). I erased all content and settings and now it doesn't have an app store (my only apps are safari, calendar, contacts, youtube, clock, calculator, settings, music, videos, photos, and itunes). Is it supposed to have an app store, or are all downloads just through itunes with this old of an ipod? I know that it previously did because there were games downloaded I am connected to wifi (safari works), but itunes/youtube apps say they can't connect. Tried connecting it to my (updated) macbook pro, but when I plug it in, itunes says it can't connect because an invalid response was received from the device. I saw an answer before that said to look under settings/general/restrictions to see if app store was hidden, but my general settings does not have a restrictions option. I just bought this ipod for playing music, so I don't care if I get everything back- I just want to be able to connect it to my computer and sync music.

iPod touch

Posted on Apr 15, 2016 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2016 1:46 PM

Sounds like you have a first generation iPod touch with less than iOS 2. iOS 2 adds the App Store.

Identifying iPod models

A 1G iPod can go as high as 3.1.3 that you get here:

Purchasing iOS 3.1 Software Update for iPod touch (1st generation)

https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/touchLegacyLandingPage

To more easily find compatible apps:

iOSSearch - search the iTunes store for compatible apps.

Apple Club - filter apps by iOS version.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2016 1:46 PM in response to llb23

Sounds like you have a first generation iPod touch with less than iOS 2. iOS 2 adds the App Store.

Identifying iPod models

A 1G iPod can go as high as 3.1.3 that you get here:

Purchasing iOS 3.1 Software Update for iPod touch (1st generation)

https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/touchLegacyLandingPage

To more easily find compatible apps:

iOSSearch - search the iTunes store for compatible apps.

Apple Club - filter apps by iOS version.

Apr 15, 2016 1:46 PM in response to lllaass

Great - thanks! So I clicked on the link to download and went through the steps. Itunes said "to download your update, connect your iPod touch and click Download and Install...If you don't see Download and Install, click Check for Update in the iPod touch Summary tab." --there is also not a Summary tab on my iPod?

Old ipod not connecting - no app store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.