Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro 7 error message

I am using FInal Cut Pro 7 in OSX Yosemite and I keep getting this message when I try to play through cross dissolves. It was working just fine and then my canvas went black. After checking that it was set to Image and RGB, I trashed the preferences and now I have this new problem. User uploaded file Does anyone know why my movie won't play through these?

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2016 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 12:43 AM

In the left upper corner of the timeline, click on the RT button and set the Real Time playback to Unlimited and Dynamic.

User uploaded file

To turn off the warning, which is not pertinent to you unless you are editing for output to tape, go to the menu Final Cut Pro > User Preferences and on the General tab, uncheck the box for Report dropped frames during playback:

User uploaded file

MtD

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2016 12:43 AM in response to filmaker75

In the left upper corner of the timeline, click on the RT button and set the Real Time playback to Unlimited and Dynamic.

User uploaded file

To turn off the warning, which is not pertinent to you unless you are editing for output to tape, go to the menu Final Cut Pro > User Preferences and on the General tab, uncheck the box for Report dropped frames during playback:

User uploaded file

MtD

Apr 16, 2016 9:56 AM in response to filmaker75

Are you editing with your timeline set to an edit friendly codec?

If you are trying to edit H.264 material, Final Cut Pro 7 will exhibit all kinds of weird and unpredictable behavior.

FCP7 only gives the appearance of working correctly with the format, there may be unexpected consequences (such as during export, playback or rendering) where problems will appear.

(This is because FCP7 was abandoned by Apple before h.264 became the ubiquitous format it is today, and was never made capable of reliably editing in it.)

The best practices workflow for dealing with any source format that is not listed in the Easy Setup menu is to transcode the source material to an edit friendly format prior to ingest (ProRes) and then import the files and work with them in FCP.

If you've already invested a lot of effort into your edit then you can continue to edit with extreme caution, or switch the codec of the timeline to ProRes, which will require you to render more, but will give you more stable performance and predictability.

MtD

Final Cut Pro 7 error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.