Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos no longer sync with iPad

I can no longer sync Aperture photos with my iPad(s). I have selected several Aperture albums to sync when attached to iTunes on my Mac. All other items will sync (Music, Movies, etc), but the photos never finish syncing. It stalls on “Step 5 of 6” while it is importing Photos and never finishes the sync. If I stop the sync and eject the iPad, no photos have been copied to the iPad. If I deselect photos from the sync, the sync completes normally.

I have had the issue with three iPads; an iPad 1 (2010), an iPad 3 (2012) and the new 9” iPad Pro (2016). The two older iPads successfully synced photos in the past, but now it doesn’t work at all. I am using iTunes 12.3.3 with OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite). The two newer iPads are on iOS 9.3.1 and the iPad 1 is on iOS 5.1.1.

Is Photo sync with Aperture broken now, or is it just my system?

Thanks,

David

Aperture 3

Posted on Apr 15, 2016 11:36 AM

9 replies

Apr 15, 2016 2:14 PM in response to léonie

Unfortunately, deleting the cache did not work. It still stalls at Step 4 of 5 (importing photos). The cache was much smaller than I expected (~40 mb), even though I had previously synced thousands of photos to my oldest iPad. It probably should have been 10s of GB in size. After attempting to sync the iPad, it re-created the cache and it contained only one tiny file (Photo Database) which was only ~700 kb in size).

Also, I noticed that the “Storage Bar” (in iTunes) doesn’t change when I select more photo albums to sync. There are currently 8 photos (40 mb) on the iPad from photos I took with the iPad. After selecting ~500 photos to sync, it still says 8 photos and 40 mb. Other media (like movies) show the increased space needed and the number of items after selecting them and hitting “Apply.”

I had planned to use a couple of the older iPads as “Photo Frames,” but may have to look into an alternative method to load the photos.

Thanks!

David

Apr 16, 2016 10:50 AM in response to David Strait

Try to find out, if the problem is Aperture or iTunes.

You could test this by exporting the albums you want to sync to your devices aa a new Aperture library: Select the albums in Aperture, then use the command "File > Export > Albums as new Library. This will create a small new library with just your albums.

Drag this new Aperture library onto the Photos icon in the Dock to open it in Photos for Mac.

Then quit both Photos and iTunes and try to select the Photos Library in iTunes for syncing. Can iTunes sync with the Photos Library?

Apr 16, 2016 1:06 AM in response to David Strait

I have disabled iCloud Photo Library on my iPad to be able to test syncing with iTunes.

My small Aperture test library has 1085 photos, but iTunes is only showing 294 photos when I select to sync "All albums".

On the first try I had to force quit iTunes when I tried to enable the sync from Aperture. The second attempt is still running. Let's see what happens.

User uploaded file

Apr 16, 2016 10:50 AM in response to léonie

I greatly appreciate your efforts to help me solve this issue. It sounds like you are experiencing some “flakiness” of your own!

I was ready to try your suggestion about exporting the library to “Photos” when I had some success with syncing. I was able to “occasionally” start the photo sync if I interrupted the stalled sync and added another media file to the sync (like a movie), then hit apply. This sometimes will cause the sync to add the movie to the iPad, then start syncing the photos successfully. It doesn’t always work, but I’ve managed to successfully sync my oldest iPad (Version 1 - 2010). I’ll try my newer iPads next and report back if I learn anything more in the process.

I also noticed another (probably unrelated) quirk with iTunes and Aperture while working on this issue. I probably have at least 1000 albums in Aperture and I noticed that (as least) 10-20 of these albums do not show up in iTunes as a choice for syncing. I have a collection of albums in folders organized by year. The latest years (2014 to 2016) do not contain all the albums (in iTunes) that exist in those folders (in Aperture). All earlier years appear to be OK. Very odd.

Thanks!

David

Apr 16, 2016 1:41 PM in response to léonie

I have now been able to sync all three of my iPads. Once I completed the first iPad, the others completed without issue. Whatever the issue was, it seems to be OK now.

I had made no progress at all until I deleted the iPod Photo Cache from the Aperture Library, as you originally suggested. It didn’t immediately cure the issue, but I suspect it may have helped. It may have been entirely an iTunes issue, but I’ll probably never know. I’ll mark your cache deletion suggestion as the “solution,” so others with this problem will at least know to try it out. I never would have thought of it.

It looks like I’ll continue with Aperture for at least another couple years, or as long as my 2009 Mac Pro will last. Hope you’ll still be here for the duration!

Now if I only knew why several of my Aperture Albums don’t show up in iTunes!

Thanks again Leonie,

David

Apr 16, 2016 2:13 PM in response to léonie

I don’t have Photo Stream enabled, so possibly that is part of the problem for you.

I have had several problems in the past with iTunes media syncing, especially when the “Cloud” was involved (e.g. iTunes Match and Apple Music). Some of these problems were a complete disaster and resulted in weeks of work to correct.

I just don’t think Apple does the “Cloud” very well (or syncing in general).

Photos no longer sync with iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.