Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro systematically freezes during final cut pro playback

Hi

I have a 2015 retina MPB maxed out. 1tb SSD, 16Gb RAM, AMD radeon R9 M390X.

When i edit projects in Final Cut, after a few moments the fans start to run at max speed. If i keep on playing the project, the computer freezes. Not the app, the computer. I can't do anything, no force close FC, nothing. I have to shut down the machine by keeping pushed the on/off switch. This happens every time i try do edit a project.

The funny thing is that the same project opened in my older machine, a 2012 retina MBP, runs fine. It's a little bit laggy, but that's it. Sam thing on my brother's 13" retina MBP.

My newest RMBP should be faster, but i can't use it.

I tried everything: re downloading the app, creating a partition with only FC installed, running projects in my internal hard drive. Nothing works.

Every time i open a project and play it, just play it, it's a matter of time before the machine freezes completely.

I brought it to an Apple assistance center and they replaced the motherboard. Nothing changed.

I really hope someone can give a me hint about what is happening. This is extremely frustrating since i use this machine for work, as i am a video editor.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 15, 2016 12:43 PM

14 replies

Apr 15, 2016 1:20 PM in response to PaoloGr

Are any apps other than Final Cut giving you problems? Can you play video files without freezes in QuickTime player and in VLC?

Have you looked at the logs in Console?

Have you run the Apple Diagnostics Test since the mother board was replaced?

Are there any plug-ins or third party software that are installed on the new machine and not the older machine?

DownloadEtrecheckand see whether it reports anything worth investigating.

Russ

Apr 16, 2016 1:45 AM in response to Russ H

Well there are a few apps that i have installed on the new one that i don't have on the old one.

But during my testing i created a 50Gb partition, installed El Capitain and JUST Final Cut in it.

Tried to edit, same problem.

Do you think those apps might affect the computer even in the partition that has nothing installed except for Final Cut?

Thanks

Apr 16, 2016 2:49 AM in response to Alchroma

Sure

clips come from my GH4. They are UHD (3840X2160), 24p, H264.

I edit in Full HD, so every project is 1920X1080, 24p.

As i said, my older retina macbook pro, my brother's 13" retina MBP and my Mac Pro (of course) have no problem whatsoever to edit these files in this workflow. There is no reason why my newest machine shouldn't be able to handle it.

Thanks

Apr 16, 2016 2:28 PM in response to Russ H

Hi Russ

Are any apps other than Final Cut giving you problems? Can you play video files without freezes in QuickTime player and in VLC?

No other app gives problems. No problem watching videos on quicktime and VLC

Have you looked at the logs in Console?

Yes but i don't know what to look for, i am not familiar with it. Any ideas on what i should look for...?

Have you run the Apple Diagnostics Test since the mother board was replaced?

Yes it found no problems

Are there any plug-ins or third party software that are installed on the new machine and not the older machine?

Some, but not related to video editing. I created a partition with no software installed apart from Final Cut, this didn't solve the problem. It crashes anyway.

DownloadEtrecheckand see whether it reports anything worth investigating.

I Did, ran the test and there was nothing that i noticed worth investigating.

PaoloG

Apr 16, 2016 7:26 PM in response to PaoloGr

Hey man...Retina Macbooks run hot...I work on set and capture live video to Prores LT, and my older 2012 Macbook Pro handles it where a newer Retina MBP needs supplemental cooling...I might suggest something like SMC to control the fans and make sure your MBP is elevated and can cool properly...try a base with additional fans and see if that helps...otherwise I'm afraid Russ might be right about hardware issues...bottom line, Retina display males MBP's run hot...hopefully this will be addressed in June when Skylake comes to the Apple line up...

Apr 17, 2016 1:24 AM in response to Russ H

I though this too.

I brought it to an authorized tech center last week. They ran all the tests and found nothing. They told me that since it's still under warranty, they would replace the motherboard as a precaution.

they did and nothing changed. They also told me that if this wasn't under warranty they would have told me to go home since the computer has nothing, according to them. Ridiculous.

I will bring it tomorrow again and show what is happening.

Apr 17, 2016 8:11 AM in response to Russ H

Well in the last 2 weeks or so i have been in contact with someone working at Apple.

He was the one suggesting me to bring the laptop to the center to do all the tests...

He said that since i told him that after the motherboard replacement the situation didn't improve that much he will get in touch with engineers at Apple to see what we can do..

Macbook pro systematically freezes during final cut pro playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.