Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

uninstalling El Capitan and reinstalling 10.6.8 for FCP 6.0.6 compatibility

Hello everyone, I was wondering what the best approach to uninstall El Capitan and reinstall an older version of OS X Software (10.6.8).

Here's the problem I upgraded to El Capitan a few months ago and have only experienced issues of FCP 6. It's my understanding that FCP is no longer compatible with El Capitan.

When I was using 10.6.8 I had little to no problems on FCP so I was thinking I should revert back to that OS X version to make life easier.

Here's what I'm considering,

1. Reinstalling my start up disk and starting all over. I believe this will wipe clean my hard drives. Then reinstall OS X 10.6.8 and begin working on my projects again

without any hiccups hopefully. I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS. because I have a lot of family videos uncompleted stored on these drives.

2. Really I'm looking for alternative options. I have 4 internal hard drives that have a storage capacity of 1 TB a piece. I was wondering if I could drop and drag all

files to two of them exclusively and then remove them and put them back in my mac when I'm ready to upgrade to El Capitan again.

3. The final option would be to upgrade to FCP X but it's my understanding that the FCP X and FCP files don't vibe so well. I'm not sure. I'm looking for the easiest

way to accomplish this without losing any of my current videos or video footage I have on my hard drives and still be able to edit current and older projects on

FCP 6.

ALL MY SPECS LISTED UNDER MY PROFILE ARE UP TO DATE AND THE MAC PRO I HAVE IS A MID 2010 MODEL.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE AND HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY

ERV

Final Cut Pro 6, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3.2GHz

Posted on Apr 15, 2016 3:00 PM

2 replies

Apr 16, 2016 6:03 AM in response to ERV77

IMO, creating a bootable volume and installing OS that FCP6 (and other FCS 2 apps) is happy on is a good strategy. It could either be a separate drive or a separate partition. Your scratch disk should be separate from the bootable drive, and the projects and media that are so valuable to you ought to be backed up so they exist in two separate physical locations.

I maintain a Snow Leopard system myself to run FCS 3, the Adobe CS3 suite, and a few other "legacy apps". (Obviously, this is dependent in having hardware that is compatible with the older OS. I imagine your MP will suffice for a very long time.)

A clean install will increase the odds of a FCP installation that is stable over the long term. That would be done using Disk Utility to erase the drive (or volume) and the !0.6 installation disk. After you install, update through 10.6.8, you would install FCP 6 et al - using the installation disks; it won't work right by copying files.

If you have questions about the step-by-step clean install process, I would suggest visiting the Mac OS X Snow Leopard site. Lots of knowledgeable, helpful folks there.

Good luck.

Russ

PS: As to the compatibility between FCP 6 and FCP X, there is a third party app, 7toX, that does a very good job of taking an XML from 6 or 7 and bringing it into X. But X is completely different than legacy FCP and requires a learning curve. IMO, it's worth learning because it's very fast and supports a much wider choice of modern formats but that's just an opinion.

Apr 28, 2016 12:18 PM in response to Russ H

Russ, thanks for answering my question. I'm curious if you could point me in the right direction to show me how to accomplish this task. i'm not sure where to begin this process. Really I'm trying to keep all my family video files that I haven't edited just yet which I'm sure I'll lose if wipe everything clean and do a new install. Thanks for the help Sir!

Err

uninstalling El Capitan and reinstalling 10.6.8 for FCP 6.0.6 compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.