Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal disable startup chime

I want to stop the Start-up chime and the normal terminal script, (sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80)‚ will not work due to a password problem.

After the script is entered Terminal asks for my password. I supply the password and terminal says ‘command not found’. Naturally, I assume the password is in error but it is the same password which unlocks Permissions and is used for Administrator account ID.

In fact I created a new Master Password for the computer via Permission>File Vault. (File Vault is Off). Yet Terminal still reports ‘Command not found’.!

Can a Unix guru tell me how to get rid of this pesky chime perhaps by including a reset Admin password command?

I use OS10.6.8. on Intel iMac

iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 OS 10.5.8.

Posted on Apr 15, 2016 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply
10 replies

Apr 18, 2016 4:38 PM in response to Terraaustralia

After the script is entered Terminal asks for my password. I supply the password and terminal says ‘command not found’. Naturally, I assume the password is in error but it is the same password which unlocks Permissions and is used for Administrator account ID.

Chances are sudo could not find nvram because /usr/sbin was NOT in your PATH. Try the following instead

sudo /usr/sbin/nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80

Apr 18, 2016 5:53 PM in response to BobHarris

Thank you for the revised Script Bob.

However, until I can solve the password ID the script cannot be tested.

When I try your script, Terminal asks for password and I simply cannot supply a password that Terminal recognises. Previously Terminal said ‘command not recognised’. After putting your script into Terminal I am asked for a password and Terminal responds with ‘Sorry, try again’.

Apr 18, 2016 6:03 PM in response to Terraaustralia

The password should be the account password for the user you are currently logged in as, AND that user should be an 'admin' user.

The sudo command wants the password of the current user, and it will check the /etc/sudoers file to see if that user is allowed to have elevated 'root' account privileges. The standard /etc/sudoers file grants elevated privileges if the user is a member of group 80 (admin). Everyone else will be rejected by the sudo command.

The 'id' command will display the groups that the account you are using, and it should contain 80 (admin). It will be somewhere in the middle of the list of groups. For example here is my 'id' output

id

uid=501(me) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),401(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),12(everyone),

61(localaccounts),79(_appserverusr),80(admin),81(_appserveradm),98(_lpadmin),33(_appstore),

100(_lpoperator),204(_developer),395(com.apple.access_ftp),398(com.apple.access_ screensharing),

103(com.apple.access_ssh-disabled)

Apr 18, 2016 6:44 PM in response to BobHarris

Thanks Bob,

I seem to have succeeded in switching off the chime despite the password problem.

I created a new account using a new name and used the old password. Logged out and switched off. Restart asked me set up the new account preferences which I did. I noticed NO Star-tup chime!

I closed down and re-opened. NO start-up chime! chose my old account name and password to login. Accessed accounts and entirely deleted the new account. Restarted. NO start-up chime!

Out of interest I accessed Terminal, entered your script, put in the old password, answer; ‘command not found’!!!

I have no idea why terminal will not recognise a password which is used for Administration and Permissions. Odd that creating a new account seemed to trigger chime ‘off’ It seems as if Psst may have been activated and it is silencing the chime. Of this I am unsure since Psst showed ‘active’ previously yet chime kept functioning. Somehow the new account using same password has triggered either your script or Psst.

All very odd. Anyway, I have achieved my objective but the Terminal password issue bothers me as it prevents me using terminal on those few occasions it would be handy.

Apr 18, 2016 7:08 PM in response to Terraaustralia

Out of interest I accessed Terminal, entered your script, put in the old password, answer; ‘command not found’!!!

Getting command not found means it DID accept the password, and then attempted to execute the command following the 'sudo' command. It would NEVER ask for the password, and then say command not found UNLESS it accepted the password.

I assume you are saying command not found is for 'nvram'. if it was for a different command then again, it is a situation of PATH not having the directory where the program which is the command lives.

/bin/ls -leO@ /bin/sbin/nvram

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel restricted,compressed 66128 Mar 12 03:37 /usr/sbin/nvram

The above is what I expect if you issue the above 'ls' command

By default PATH contains

echo $PATH

/usr/bin:/bin

But nvram lives in /usr/sbin which is NOT in PATH by default. Which is why I suggested providing the full path to the nvram command of /usr/sbin/nvram, and it is sbin not bin

The same rules apply to any command you try to execute. You either have to specify the full path to the command or the directory where the command lives must be in the PATH environment variable.

Apr 18, 2016 10:52 PM in response to BobHarris

Very interesting Bobb. As a Unix illiterate this kind of information is valuable and I shall store your remarks for the future. Of course these cryptic Terminal statements are for those with training. As a simple soul, I assume they mean what they say according to context.

So your full path Unix instruction probably worked despite the ‘password’ response ‘Sorry, try again’?

I appreciate your patience thank you Bob, and we got there despite the glitches!

Best Wishes,

Tony

Apr 19, 2016 4:50 PM in response to Terraaustralia

So your full path Unix instruction probably worked despite the ‘password’ response ‘Sorry, try again’?

Sorry, try again is a bad password

sudo somecommand ...

Password:

Sorry, try again.

Password:

Exact wording, or better copy and paste are actually useful.

I supply the password and terminal says ‘command not found’.

Says the command you are trying to execute with sudo cannot be found

sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80

Password:

sudo: nvram: command not found

In this case 'nvram' is in a directory that is NOT specified in the PATH environment variable.

The "Exact" error messages does matter in diagnosing what the problem is. You appear to be confusing 'command not found' with 'Sorry, try again.' The first says 'nvram' could not be found, and the solution to that is to specify the full path to /usr/sbin/nvram. The second says the password for the current user was wrong, or that the current user is NOT an 'admin' user.

Terminal disable startup chime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.