Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add to Safari reading list feature is not working

The add to Safari reading list feature is not working on non-Safari apps (including Apple news app). Any suggestions?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 15, 2016 7:31 PM

52 replies

Apr 17, 2016 7:31 AM in response to sneadbr

Greetings sneadbr,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you are unable to add content to your Reading List as expected. To begin troubleshooting, I suggest closing Safari completely and then restarting your iPhone. After your phone restarts, try adding new content to your Reading List again.

Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Add a page to your Reading List and come back to it later - Apple Support

Have a great day!

Apr 17, 2016 7:50 AM in response to AppleJoe

Thanks for the response. The issue is actually on my iPad, which I have restarted many times without success. Other steps I have taken include removing my iCloud account from the device and then adding it again.

While using Safari, I am able to add links to the reading list with no issues. The problem is when I try to add links to Safari from other apps like Apple news or third-party apps like Twitterrific. I am able to do these things normally on my iPhone, but not on my iPad.

I get to the screen and touch add to reading list, but when I switch back to the Safari app, nothing is there.

User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2016 8:25 AM in response to sneadbr

Thank you for responding with this information. The next troubleshooting step that I recommend is reinstalling iOS on your iPad. This should not affect any of the data on your iPad, but it is always a best practice to make sure you have a current backup before proceeding.

How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

To reinstall iOS, follow the steps from the If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up section in the following article. I know this is not your iPad’s current situation, but this step still by help resolve the issue.

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, you can borrow one, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the Recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
    User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 again.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on - Apple Support

Cheers!

Apr 17, 2016 10:37 AM in response to sneadbr

Thanks for replying again to let us know that even reinstalling iOS didn’t resolve this situation. At this point in the troubleshooting process, because the previous steps didn’t work, I would suggest contacting Apple Support directly. Contacting AppleCare will allow us to look further into this specific situation and provide you the best support possible.

Contact Apple Support - Apple Support

Best

Apr 18, 2016 12:51 PM in response to TGApp

So I contacted Apple support and after a few troubleshooting steps, we were able to solve the issue. The problem-solving step was to reset all settings on the iPad by going to general>reset>reset all settings (not content). This is annoying because you have to reprogram a lot of the things on your phone, but not as annoying as not having the reading list work properly if you use it every day. Hope this fixes your problem as well.

Apr 21, 2016 4:21 AM in response to sneadbr

sneadbr wrote:

So I contacted Apple support and after a few troubleshooting steps, we were able to solve the issue. The problem-solving step was to reset all settings on the iPad by going to general>reset>reset all settings (not content). This is annoying because you have to reprogram a lot of the things on your phone, but not as annoying as not having the reading list work properly if you use it every day. Hope this fixes your problem as well.

Thanks for posting the solution that worked for you. I'm having the exact same issue on my iPad pro. I've tried the restarts without any luck. I'm going to have to try the settings reset this weekend. When you do that does it reset everything including touch id, and all of your notification settings, etc.? Are all of your app settings wiped out too? Thanks.

May 4, 2016 7:41 AM in response to sneadbr

Having this issue too. Began after taking iPhone into an Apple Store to have screen replaced. Before screen replacement, everything worked as expected.

Cannot add links to Safari Reading List from any external or third party app such as Mail, Notes, Twitterific and Feedly.

This issue is specific to my iPhone 6. Not a problem using my iPad mini, which is using the same AppleID. Links added to Safari Reading List from 3rd party apps on my iPad mini will synchronize over to my iPhone.

Have tried all the various fixes mentioned in this thread, with no different results.

May 4, 2016 11:52 AM in response to sneadbr

This bug continues to occur on my iPad despite completely restoring from an iCloud backup. Furthermore, it now occurs on my phone as well. This is an issue I hope Apple will address in the next iOS software update. Any information from Apple would be appreciated, because it clearly is not an isolated issue.

Add to Safari reading list feature is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.