Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini G4 doesn't show login window

Please help. There's use for my old Mac mini, so I fired it up.

After booting it shows the (fake) progress bar and that's it. No logon screen.

I can connect to it by ssh, so that part is ok and I can have a look at the log files!

The last entries in /var/log/system.log:

---

Apr 16 16:50:26 kleine-appel launchd: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping

Apr 16 16:50:56 kleine-appel /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

Apr 16 16:50:57 kleine-appel launchd: /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow port /dev/console exited abnormally: Illegal instruction

Apr 16 16:50:57 kleine-appel /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

Apr 16 16:50:58 kleine-appel launchd: /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow port /dev/console exited abnormally: Illegal instruction

Apr 16 16:50:58 kleine-appel launchd: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping

---

I ran it in SingleUser mode and performed fsck and the NVRAM has been resetted (which brought the chimes back to live, but they're gone now again...).

Anybody has a clue?

ProductName: Mac OS X

ProductVersion: 10.4.11

BuildVersion: 8S165

Machine Name: Mac mini

Machine Model: PowerMac10,1

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.8.9f4

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4 (PPC)

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 8:45 AM

1 reply

Apr 16, 2016 1:17 PM in response to huge42

If the unit has sat for some time, without plugged into AC power, there may be

a need to replace the system clock battery or PRAM battery on the logic board.

This can affect normal startup to the point the computer won't start up until you do.

An iFixit guide may show adequate take-apart to get into where the battery is hiding.

Some special tools, including a dull putty-knife, may be called upon to facilitate entry.

• Mac mini (Late 2005 and earlier): How to reset the PMU - Apple Support

Do you still have the original install DVD media or retail Leopard 10.5 installer?

Sometimes an alternative boot could be helpful; also sometimes a hard drive

may have had an issue which may prevent its full cooperation in startup.

Did you see if Safe boot helps? Sometimes the hard drive may need a repair; so if

you could get it to run in Safe boot, then see if Disk Utility can check it; at least be

able to 'repair disk permissions' or restart from DVD media (if it starts up at all) to

try that version of Disk Utility.

The NVRAM and PMU are the two external resets you could perform; but the logic

board battery can play a big role in the startup success. Aside from a HDD issue.

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

Mac mini G4 doesn't show login window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.