Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB drive mounting problems 12" MacBook on 10.11.4

I recently picked up a 12" Macbook, on its maiden voyage I had continual problems with mounting USB jump drives via the Apple manufactured USB-USB-c adapter. Basically I was able to mount a USB3.0 drive 4-5 times with normal ejects before the drive would no longer mount and I would need to reboot the computer in order to handle another mounting. Also once this problem manifested itself on one drive I was unable to mount other usb drives until a reboot. Anyone else experiencing this?

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 9:51 AM

10 replies

Apr 18, 2016 3:23 PM in response to performance-video

I have also run into this; both when hooking up a USB drive directly through a USB-C to USB-A adapter, through a USB-C to Micro-USB cable, or through the Satechi USB-C dock. When this happens, the Satechi also stops recognizing SD cards plugged directly into the dock. Rebooting temporarily fixes the issue.

I've also noticed charging issues that started recently; in the past, I've been able to recharge (slowly) from a USB battery pack that can handle an iPad. Now plugging the battery pack in just seems to make it drain faster.

I'm going to try an SMC reset next, see if that might fix things.

Jul 2, 2016 8:47 AM in response to marccoular

Updating to 10.11.5 didn't fix the issue for me. I got my MacBook in May, so I had thought the dodgy usb-c functionality was just part of the experience. I was hopeful updating would fix the mounting issue after reading this thread. It did not.

I don't mind having one usb-c port for multiple functions. I do mind that it doesn't function properly.

USB drive mounting problems 12" MacBook on 10.11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.