Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help connecting my ibook G3 to Internet via Airport

Hi
I bought a Ibook G3 recently and cannot connect to the internet via Airport. I can find my internet provider and it lets me input the password for it, but after that i keep getting the same message:
"An error occured while trying to join the selected airport network. -3151.
the password is correct, so I don't know why its not connecting.
I have checked the card and it looks ok.

the Ibook is a Mac OS 9.2

version Mac OSZ1-9.2.2

Please help! - i feel like im going crazy trying to get it to work

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 3:39 PM

The older hardware uses a different protocol and security than later models of wi-fi, so

it may be the unit is able to see the available signal but not able to utilize it or connect.

To be able to set up a vintage wireless AirPort base station separate from any modern

local wireless network is one way to use an older less secure computer wireless setup

and not compromise the newer systems that would share a reduced-security wireless

if you should wish to reduce the overall system security (by using older protocol WAP,

WEP, etc; instead of WPA2+) and some base stations may have a harder time if they

also have more than one signal type. The older computers use the lower bandwidth.

At this point, I probably can't be of much help; short of reading through my bookmarked

older reference pages (and testing to see if the pages still work online) for setup use.

My wireless setup is WPA2 but uses earlier AirPort Express base; and also have older

white orb AirPort Extreme 54k base station on hand; but not presently turned on.

Helps to have some extra wireless hardware for use with the vintage computers.

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2016 3:39 PM in response to NZG73

The older hardware uses a different protocol and security than later models of wi-fi, so

it may be the unit is able to see the available signal but not able to utilize it or connect.

To be able to set up a vintage wireless AirPort base station separate from any modern

local wireless network is one way to use an older less secure computer wireless setup

and not compromise the newer systems that would share a reduced-security wireless

if you should wish to reduce the overall system security (by using older protocol WAP,

WEP, etc; instead of WPA2+) and some base stations may have a harder time if they

also have more than one signal type. The older computers use the lower bandwidth.

At this point, I probably can't be of much help; short of reading through my bookmarked

older reference pages (and testing to see if the pages still work online) for setup use.

My wireless setup is WPA2 but uses earlier AirPort Express base; and also have older

white orb AirPort Extreme 54k base station on hand; but not presently turned on.

Helps to have some extra wireless hardware for use with the vintage computers.

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

Apr 16, 2016 6:26 PM in response to NZG73

The older model iBook G3 (and G4, etc) have a vintage obsolete status so their

operating systems are fairly much static and have no upgrade capabilities...

The most iBook G3 and G4 models had a wireless card that could be removed

and replaced by the user; in some markets those were options and had to be

bought separately. One of the items that may prove problematic in setting up a

wireless network at the most basic level, can be when the wireless card is not

in the computer. Or, if it somehow isn't working. These original cards are harder

to find now, in part due to no replacements being made for vintage old Macs.

More about internet, setup, & troubleshooting:

• Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting - Apple Support

• Creating a small Ethernet network - with other older options - Apple Support

General overview of the AirPort Base station idea (third party site)

http://apple.wikia.com/wiki/AirPort_Base_Station

None of the older PowerPC (non-intel pre-2006 hardware) can run any newer

version of OS X than 10.5.8 Leopard; and that would be the newest which is

a limit by hardware specification even within the PowerPC G3/G4/G5 group.

The ability to upgrade or run a completely newer OS X than previously installed

(compared to a minor up-date, an up-grade is not a simple add-on or patch)

depends directly on the hardware of the computer you have and its ability to use

a later system. As computer models advanced in features, the software had to

also grow and evolve; newer advances made for obsolete products and systems.

Note the ability of your old iBook G3 (is it a DualUSB white model or a colors clamshell?)

to run a newer OS X than Panther 10.3.9, depends on the hardware build & specification

that sometimes are limited by an inability to install new parts for a newer system to work.

This is why proper and correct identification of specific computer models is important.

Vintage wireless frequencies and protocols based on configuration specs have changed

so to go back in time and read about the products which were current when your iBook

was new, are part of the game. Later (now vintage) base stations and other products

still have some backward compatibility with your old iBook; but not so much.

• (vintage) Apple AirPort Base Station Guide:

http://www.hportmug.com/HPORTMUG/airportbase_station_guide.html

The Apple AirPort wireless products for internet access points or local hotspots

that one has in their home or their business to share internet without cables, is

a brand name and these have been cross platform so other brand products who

need to use wi-fi could be allowed online through the connection afforded by them.

• AirPort + WiFi = AirPort Base Stations - Apple Support:

https://www.apple.com/support/airport/basestations/

Newer concepts (since earlier PowerPC development days) in wireless include

the backup capabilities of a wireless base station for internet access, that also

has a built-in storage for local use by the computer, to create backups of the

system software with incremental ability to restore the computer from a backup.

The service locally available with supported configurations of hardware & software

is called Time Machine, which is part of newer OS X. There is a special series of

AirPort wireless base station that includes a backup, so this hardware product is

known by the name Time Capsule. The two ideas for backup storage and wi-fi

is integrated so the backup is wireless to the base station; and the internet is

wireless to those devices using internet access. Usually these also have a cable

(Ethernet) so a wired connection can also be maintained for other products online.

The ability to buy a retail Tiger 10.4 install DVD is increasingly limited as time goes on.

They are not being made, and those available (in retail form, not grey label for one Mac

model restore software version) are from vendors online such as Amazon or a few of

the Apple resellers whose market reach is very Mac; the prices can be prohibitive, too.

Some of the better vintage Mac portables are among the early intel-based models,

such as the early MacBook (white 13-inch) and their first models can use OS X 10.6.8

Snow Leopard; that system is still available on retail DVD from Apple online, but is not

intended nor for use in older (PowerPC G3/G4/G5) macs; only those Intels after 2005.

So you may have to start a new and different topic thread about your product since this

one would likely be ignored after being marked 'solved' -- in order to get renewed interest

in any newer questions you may ask within it.

To detail the build model year and specifications can help learn more about the options,

few as they will be going forward; and to help you when looking to locate upgrade Mac

OS X software. The computer hardware limits the ability to upgrade or run newer OS X.

And these that get left behind as times change, are harder to keep running. Replacement

parts such as batteries & other hardware (displays, logic boards, etc) also limit their use.

Between the wireless card inside the computer, the system software that relies on the card

and the base station that provides a local wireless connection to the internet hardware, that

in turn connects to an ISP internet provider cable or other modem, all have to work together.

And as time goes forward, their specifications have changed, generally gotten better; yet

the older hardware can work within limits as would the older software. Support is limited.

Don't know what else to say; and don't believe I've actually answered the questions that

would relate to making an old obsolete computer work; especially when essential parts

may be missing or no longer can provide a connection.

For now, I'm leaving the topic here and suggest reformulating the topic around a forward

direction based on more information on what your computer model is (iBook G3 is vague)

and see http://everymac.com for all technical specs for iBook models; if you have a newer

computer, there are good sources of technical Mac information. Note http://mactracker.ca

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 17, 2016 2:20 PM in response to NZG73

You may have to locate an authorized Apple service provider who can still inspect

and test these older computers; however that said, most hourly technician rates

would quickly exceed the value of this kind of vintage obsolete product.

• Wireless setup for Mac OS9 (see/click 'wireless setup instructions' inside, for detail)

http://www.nova.edu/help/wireless/macos9.html

• Mac Basics: Connecting your Mac to the Internet - Apple Support

• Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If you haven't been able to set up and connect via Ethernet cable to an ISP modem

or router, that may be a first step. And if you are trying to use OS X, or use OS9.2

the steps are different. You could address this aspect of setup in a new thread, and

I'd try to ignore a reply there unless details were supplied to make short work of it.

The general model you have, I used to own; mine developed issues and required

a hardware repair that was beyond my skill set so I read about on the internet and

set on contacting a few reputable repair companies; contacted those, and chose

one at some distance from my home state. And used the post office to deliver the

computer as a parcel to them for inspection, testing, and repair. They contacted me

before proceeding after takeapart; were below their initial estimate & 1/3 of local.

{company wegenermedia.com is located in US state of SC, they repair macs}

In that instance, I was able to direct their attention to specific issues that required

a hardware repair. In the computer you have now, that is not necessarily the case.

Parts such as replacement wireless card (early airport model, harder to find)

may require a search by part number, online. Some resellers may offer them

at Amazon or other sites. I see powerbookmedic site says they've got none.

If you can determine the cause of wireless issue requires a replacement wi-fi

card, you may be able to find an older model USB1.1 based external module...

Those external wireless dongles have an antenna built in; so that would or may

work if the internal wi-fi card should fail. The internal card is the best bet; however

you'd have to see if that (or incorrect settings, difference between modern wi-fi

specs and the older wi-fi specs) if your base station cannot support old wi-fi.

Oh... If you do not have a wireless base station such as an early model AirPort

Express or Extreme (802.11b/g) you may have a difficult time if you try to use

a public wi-fi since those may be configured for use with modern computer OS.

You should be able to test and set up the computer before going elsewhere;

and the settings for wireless security with older hardware are minimal. A public

wireless network would most likely have at least WPA; and an OS X pre-dating

Panther 10.3.9 probably (I forget exactly) has WEP or wire equivalency protocol.

Some parts are still available for that old of an Apple portable, I've not checked

except in connection to identifying your model (a general model number you gave

covers several build versions, & does not provide detailed information for one.)

According to input of your Model number (you could find more by serial number)

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php here, I found this:

User uploaded file

Every 'sales number' represents a different build configuration.

With such a general identification, important configuration details are missing.

Two different processors, several as-shipped hardware options, & so on.

Everymac.com has this information (links) for those specific models:

User uploaded file iBook G3/500 (Dual USB - Tr) 500 MHz PowerPC 750cx (G3)

User uploaded file iBook G3/500 (Late 2001 - Tr) 500 MHz PowerPC 750cx (G3)

User uploaded file iBook G3/600 (Late 2001 - Tr) 600 MHz PowerPC 750cx (G3)

You can see some 'reference parts' from such a site, more info about those

may be available when you use the serial number of the iBook for your own

information. Usually the main serial number is not posted here; however those

for a battery or other somewhat disposable part are not of a security risk here.

{Part numbers for reference are no indication of availability from those sites.}

You can find those for your own information; enter its serial number, not the

model series number. Then you can choose click on tab to see details on build.

The site link above is of some usefulness; however databases such as everymac

and mactracker are very good resources when used to determine capabilities.

Not sure if your iBook G3 could run Tiger 10.4.11, if you can buy or find a retail

copy from that era. (Grey label copies would likely never work, as they'd be from

much newer computers and only from early Intel-based models: can't be used.)

The memory total may need to be upgraded (depending on which iBook G3 you

have, the total will vary) and the capacity of the hard disk drive may be marginal

for use. The base level Hard Disk Drive was only 10GB Total. I was able to run

both OS X 10.3.9 and OS9.2.2 in my first edition (May 2001) iBook G3 dualUSB

by increasing the memory RAM chip total and selective use of applications. And

chose to keep low-impact older OS9.2 applications where efficiency mattered.

My iBook G3 'dualUSB' white 12-inch May 2001 (first edition) was configured thus:

With Panther 10.3.9 usable OS X version and 576MB RAM & under 10GB HDD.

Both MacOS9.2.2 and OS X 10.3.9 installed, there still was more than 50% free

capacity in the hard drive; this is used as Virtual Memory (temp swap file space.)

Didn't have a separate Tiger 10.4 retail DVD installer; so left this iBook G3 with

this software set and complete original included kit (in box) when I later sold it.

To troubleshoot the issues to see if there is a hardware or software problem, may

be difficult when some of the issues require you to set up older software and may

require you to use older hardware to get and sustain an internet connection.

Were you able to use an Ethernet connection to go online with the iBookG3?

The settings in the OS are critical, and given the vintage, its been more than

Been a decade now since I last used a bootable MacOS 9.2.2. I no longer have

similar computers to check internet settings against; & nothing older than 10.4.11.

There are a few browsers that may still work in MacOS9, one from the makers

of TenFourFox specific to pre-OS X (while TenFourFox is for OS X 10.4/10.5.)

See" 'Classilla' browser for OS9.2.2: http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

Perhaps if you've tried some of the previously posted links to attempt to find out

the basis for using wireless; or have tried and were able to set up Ethernet by

wire, to use internet from an internet ISP modem; then you may be familiar with

using control panels to apply or change settings. This is different in OS9 than OS X.

You may choose to ask questions about setting up the wireless components in

a discussion area such as AirPort (where a few contributors have specific info

and experience; at least with current products) or also ask OS9 questions, if you

have been using the older obsolete system to try & go online.

Which OS X version does the iBook have installed now? Or does it only have OS9.2?

Did the computer included original or later retail install DVD or CD media for software?

A few minutes, hands on, would tell someone who'd half-forgotten previous experience

a refresher in either early OS X versions or in classic MacOS9.2. Do you have an Apple

User Group in your vicinity? They can be helpful if someone among their number has an

understanding with previous experience in older model configurations. Hard & soft ware.

The fact your old computer can dual boot a classic OS9 and early OS X is a good thing;

if you have old vintage software for word processing and other projects. There's almost

nothing newer going on; some businesses kept stand-alone older Macs, working offline.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/04/17/how-to-connect-your-os-x-mac-to-a-wireless- network/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/wifi-for-dummies-9-common-mistakes-setting-up-a-wir eless-network/

A search engine to lookup info on how to set up an internet connection in MacOS (vs.

OS X) may bring up a pile of stuff; some not useful or conditionally helpful only if you

already know what to discount as useless. I used to have good links to sites with older

vintage information, and have gotten away from the older Mac OS; as sites change, so

does their content. An internet library isn't the same as a physical one; sometimes not

as good if you really want to find proof of an idea. Not just links to generalization based

on current markets or a buy/sell mentality. Information for the sake of knowledge is best

when you seek to resolve issues that have been solved before, through a thought process.

I've not found an online version of information that used to exist, with pictures of how to

find and set up the wireless, the internet, and other system control panels in old MacOS.

I do have some books, earlier Missing Manuals (by David Pogue, etc) that are quite good.

Those may be available in public library, or a secondhand thrift store, etc. if for old MacOS.

Current retail won't help; unless someone recently authored how-to-do antique computing.

Anyway, for all these words and half a dozen major interruptions offline here, I think I need

to try to stop being helpful; if one of my older Macs that had been running Panther and OS 9

was still running, I'd look into it. Those models have hardware failure, not worth parts to fix.

Before I lose this mess, I'm going to post it... Maybe as example of how not to make a reply! 🙂

Apr 17, 2016 2:28 PM in response to K Shaffer

Hi KS
Thank you for your very informative reply..its difficult to get my head around so much..this is the first Mac ive owned having been on Windows
from my first computer, almost ten years ago. does have a DVD

my Ibook does have a DVD drive 🙂 i have seen some OS X tiger discs on sale online, so i may try that and see how that goes.

Ive been unable to see if it connects to the net via a cable because i need to buy a longer cable to go between the router and the Ibook..i cant seem
to find the one i used to use years ago 😝

Do you happen to know if Firefox works with the Ibook?

so i may be able to use a dongle to connect to the internet instead of a airport card? is that correct?

Ive not come across any local Mac groups here :/ I pretty much only have these forums for any help i need 😐

Apr 17, 2016 2:52 PM in response to NZG73

The best and probably only updated (supported) browser for an older PPC Mac

running Tiger OS X 10.4.11 through Leopard 10.5.8 would be TenFourFox. And

for older MacOS 8.6 though 9.2.2 (classic) use the linked Classica. From that

same link, you should be able to go back to TenFourFox.

Since the processor in your old iBook is slower than some, the build version of

TenFourFox (for G3) will differ from the ones I use in my vintage later builds for

PowerPC G4 models. The TenFourFox browser is a custom build derived from

Mozilla Firefox; it's had several things done to make that work in old hardware.

Here's TenFourFox home: http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

So that may be the best if not only bet for a supported browser for old Macs.

These browsers don't work for regular PC computers, they're for G3/G4/G5.

The wi-fi USB dongle could work but some weren't so reliable or may have

needed drivers for use in Mac back in the day; so that's the rub. No driver

in the old software and no source for one these days either. There may be

some other product still out there, I occasionally see references to them.

Good luck! 🙂

Apr 17, 2016 3:41 PM in response to K Shaffer

hi KS!
thank you again for replying 🙂 and thank you for the link for the tenfour fox browser. how old exactly is the Tiger OS now? - i would have thought all browsers would work with OS X..but i guess there must be other things that is prohibiting their use. :/

i only have IE 5 on the Ibook at the moment and i want to delete it, but dont know how to do that..do you know how to delete a programme?

guess im going to have to do some serious digging around online to find a suitable dongle that will work 😕

Apr 18, 2016 2:54 AM in response to NZG73

The Tiger OS X 10.4 was first released April 29, 2005; it was still in use

and seeing updates (security etc) after the release of Leopard OS X 10.5

which was about October 26, 2007; the last update step of Tiger to 10.4.11

was in November 14, 2007. This had a larger user base than most, and it

also was one of the best OS X versions due to good refinement.

Microsoft Internet Explorer usually had an uninstaller within the installer.

However that likely is not available; so here's what I found...

The parts listed to remove were in a discussion, to be removed manually:

{from an October 2005 discussion - Uninstall IE 5.1.7? - contributed by Niel}

"In addition to the Internet Explorer application folder, Internet Explorer uses the folder

Explorer in the Preferences folder, as well as Microsoft Framework, Microsoft Comp-

onent Library, Microsoft Internet Library, and ActiveX controls in the Extensions folder."

...Put these in the Trash. You could wait until after your next re-start to empty the Trash

as sometimes the items get a proper disconnect from the system, once in trash after a

restart, empty trash. Sometimes, it won't matter. I don't like it when trash empties slow.

You should be able to use IE 5.1 that to download a replacement. If iBook G3

can still boot into MacOS 9.2.2, http://www.floodgap.com/software/classilla/

is a good thing to try, since it's at version 9.3.3 with some recent update bits.

{Later, there is a TenFourFox version for OS X 10.4.11 & OS X 10.5.8 from link

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/ on their main site.}

Don't expect the computer to do well with the modern internet; I'd prefer you consider

locating a early MacBook 13-inch (from 2006 to 2010) and see about running 10.6.8

Snow Leopard. The early MacBook is a fairly good computer; if not treated rough.

I was given one a few years ago, and it is quick enough for simple tasks and has

enough ***** with 2GB RAM & 160GB HDD (7200-RPM) for Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Both the memory and hard drive were upgrade over stock in the MacBook1.1 build.

And it runs circles around my Mid-2005 iBook G4 12-inch 1.33GHz model when both

the MacBook (early 2006) 13-inch & iBook G4 (Mid 2005) were running Leopard 10.5.8.

All of these are aging vintage models, however there are some of last Intel-based
MacBook that run El Capitan well (note, MacBook/Pro etc are different build models)

Anyway, the time here is about 1:50AM Monday, AKDT and I'd considered sleep hours ago.

Not sure if this helps a bunch; since locating the stuff to get the old iBook G3 dualUSB white

up and running may be of marginal economic sense unless you can locate needed bits at

a reasonable price point. Back in the day, I located some spare retail installers for OS X;

and because an installer media disc for MacOS or OS X implies the license to have one

installation (unless 'family pack' installer, with more allowed than one in household) per disc

I had more than one running 10.5, and so bought the discs at super low price when I found

them; later on those same discs were worth plenty. But I still have them including Tiger DVD

and several Leopard DVD. Among a few older versions, in their boxes. Plus some iLife apps.

Well, I'm going offline now and hopefully you can locate a source of a USB wireless dongle

or a means to work around the limitations of the original wireless card in the iBook G3 white.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Apr 18, 2016 7:14 AM in response to K Shaffer

Hi again, KS
Hope you managed to (eventually!) sleep well 🙂
Thank you for your info on the Tiger OS..from my looking around online for OS X discs, it seems like it was (is) a popular OS..i've seen other OS discs, but most seem to favour Tiger.

so all i have to do to remove IE is to drag and drop into the trash?

i was thinking of downloading tenfourfox and IE 5.1 on the computer im using here, putting them onto a usb stick then transfer them over to the Ibook..but how would i get them from the stick to the ibook? drag and drop? then do i just click to install? - sorry if i sound like a total newb..i've only worked with Windows before 😝

it will be quite some time before i get a more "modern" Mac. the products are very expensive here - even for reconditioned ones! - i felt quite lucky to had got the ibook at a reasonable price 🙂

im still looking into the dongle..its just knowing what i need to look out for 😝

Need help connecting my ibook G3 to Internet via Airport

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.