Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 won't restart

My iMac G5 froze and I had to force it to shut down. Now when I tried to restart it, it's stuck on the white screen with the apple logo and spinning week. I tried to restart in safe mode, but the volume is all the way down so I am only guessing when the chime is going off, but no success yet.

Any ideas please!

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 1:40 PM

Were you able to get any further when attempting to start from the install restore system media disc #1?

There are a few hardware probable causes for this to not start. The hard drive may have failed. Or there

was an issue with power supplies and specific capacitors had history of failure; requiring replacement.

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2016 1:40 PM in response to Steven T

Were you able to get any further when attempting to start from the install restore system media disc #1?

There are a few hardware probable causes for this to not start. The hard drive may have failed. Or there

was an issue with power supplies and specific capacitors had history of failure; requiring replacement.

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

Apr 16, 2016 1:12 PM in response to K Shaffer

I tried one more time and it started up not in safe mode but back to the regular decktop. Everything seems to work except for iPhoto seem slow.

It's an old G5 and I'm already using an external drive as my startup disk. Guess it may be on its last leg. I do regular backups to another external, so if something does happen at least I'm ready.

Thanks for the reply!

Apr 16, 2016 8:46 PM in response to Steven T

There is a small battery that may be weak or near dead that would need to be

replaced at some point, on logic board; this could also affect a Mac startup...

Of course moving parts are among the first suspects; yet with the iMac G5

and some others, capacitors + other bits that are stationary need inspection.

They have been known to move some, but aren't supposed to. 🙂

G5 won't restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.