Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I create custom folders/playlists that my car will recognize?

My iPod Shuffle has 3 factory folders it calls F00, F01 and F02. All of the songs I've loaded onto it randomly go into 1 of these 3 folders and my car's stereo recognizes these 3 folders.

Is there any way I can create my own folders so that I can organize the music myself?

I've tried making folders and sorting the music between them but when I plug the iPod into my car (via USB), it still only sees those 3 folders.

iPod shuffle

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 5:14 PM

What you are seeing is how iTunes stores song files on the iPod to optimize how the iPod operates as an iPod (not as a song storage device for your car audio system). You cannot change how iTunes syncs songs or how the iPod accesses them. Some car audio systems are designed to understand how songs are stored on the iPod; you should consult the user manual for the car audio system.

If you manually change how the songs are stored on the iPod, it will no longer operate properly as an iPod. Instead, I suggest you buy an inexpensive USB flash drive, with many times the storage capacity of a 2GB iPod shuffle. On the USB flash drive, you can create folders and manually store your favorite songs as desired. Then, leave that USB flash drive connected to your car audio system (instead of constantly connecting and disconnecting your iPod), except when you want to add or change songs. Here's one that barely sticks out of the USB port

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812 F7O8

Consult the user manual for the car audio system for things like supported disk format (of the USB flash drive) and audio formats (of stored songs).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2016 5:14 PM in response to Sarah414

What you are seeing is how iTunes stores song files on the iPod to optimize how the iPod operates as an iPod (not as a song storage device for your car audio system). You cannot change how iTunes syncs songs or how the iPod accesses them. Some car audio systems are designed to understand how songs are stored on the iPod; you should consult the user manual for the car audio system.

If you manually change how the songs are stored on the iPod, it will no longer operate properly as an iPod. Instead, I suggest you buy an inexpensive USB flash drive, with many times the storage capacity of a 2GB iPod shuffle. On the USB flash drive, you can create folders and manually store your favorite songs as desired. Then, leave that USB flash drive connected to your car audio system (instead of constantly connecting and disconnecting your iPod), except when you want to add or change songs. Here's one that barely sticks out of the USB port

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812 F7O8

Consult the user manual for the car audio system for things like supported disk format (of the USB flash drive) and audio formats (of stored songs).

Can I create custom folders/playlists that my car will recognize?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.