Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive erase

I have a swivel neck iMac from 2003. How do I erase the hard drive?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 16, 2016 2:52 PM

6 replies

Apr 17, 2016 7:22 AM in response to Duane

Duane - My intension is to merely recycle this computer. As we are all told, to secure the data the hard drive should be erased or physically destroyed. As a neophyte in this endeavor I was under the assumption that I might not have to actually take the thing apart. I do not have any of the original CD's that came with it. So, any suggestions to accomplish this would be welcome.

Hank

Apr 17, 2016 7:36 AM in response to hankster27

hankster27 wrote:

Duane - My intension is to merely recycle this computer. As we are all told, to secure the data the hard drive should be erased or physically destroyed. As a neophyte in this endeavor I was under the assumption that I might not have to actually take the thing apart. I do not have any of the original CD's that came with it. So, any suggestions to accomplish this would be welcome.

Hank

Sure, that is a good reason. There seems to be a flood of people reformatting their Macs when they are facing a simple issue which can be resolved without reformatting. I just asked to ensure that reformatting was the best option.

As I said above... You need to use Disk Utility. You will need to boot from the installation CD or an external drive with OS X installed.

Apr 17, 2016 8:19 AM in response to hankster27

Welcome Hankster!

If you do not have the install disks, and you have access to another Mac with FireWire ports, there is an excellent option available. FireWire Target Disk Mode (FWTDM) allows the hard drive in one Mac (your G4 iMac in this case) to be mounted on another Mac as if it were an external hard drive. Then you can move or delete files using software already installed on the other Mac. Info on FWTDM is here:

Share files between two computers with target disk mode - Apple Support

What the article does not show is how to know when the computer that will be seen as an external disk is successfully in Target Disk Mode. It has achieved Target Disk Mode with it shows a screen like this:

User uploaded file

The yellow FireWire symbol will move around like a screensaver element.

The other option is to remove the hard drive physically. If you wish to pursue this option, here are instructions for its removal:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G4+17+800+MHz+EMC+1936+Hard+Drive+Replacement/ 7043

Hard drive erase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.